Thursday, September 10, 2009

The School for All Ages

Nature Girl is getting to the age where she can read most of her world history, natural history, poetry, geography, literature and science school books. And I realized while making the girls' daily schedule, it would be a whole lot easier for me if she did. But then I got to thinking, how ever would I learn anything!

A big part of homeschooling for me, is the fact that I learn right along with them. I have read to both girls from "Our Island Story." It is a big thick book about Britain's history. It is packed full of events and people that I have never heard of. (Our curriculum starts off with England's history because in a way it is part of our own American history.)

This semester Nature Girl has Joan of Arc on her schedule. We are reading the book by Diane Stanley. I hate to show my ignorance but up until about 2 weeks ago I knew nothing about that part of history. Sure, I had heard the name before in different contexts but never had heard the full story. And, sad to say, this isn't the first time that has happened! Another book that Little Mama and I are reading is Trial and Triumph. It is a book all about church history and the many great men and women who devoted their lives to God. One of the first stories is about a martyr named Polycarp. I had never heard of Polycarp before yet he was one of the first men ever to die for his belief and refusal to deny Christ. We add those historical figures right up with Henry V on our timeline.

I have always been a student. After I graduated with a BA in Personnel Management I went on to get a A.S. degree in Legal Assisting. I have often thought that when things settle down here I would like to go back to school and get a minor in Spanish. Or maybe get a degree in Theology from Liberty (online of course.) But, for the moment I am more than content to be a student in my own school . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love hearing about your school. Even though I don't teach them, I always look with interest at the boys' school books and I often read the chapter books that they read. Something in common.