Thursday, April 22, 2010

Book Review - The Five Love Languages

I read a lot about marriage and child raising. I like what the majority of the books have to say. And I usually can take away something useful. And this one was no exception.

Dr. Chapman explains there are 5 love languages (each language with a few dialects) and the key to a more fulfilling relationship is to love the other person according to their language. The concept applies to both spouses and children. It really kind of made sense. If someone has one type of love language and the spouse is "talking" in another love language, it could be compared to talking with that other person in a totally different language, like Russian maybe.

It turns out my love language is quality time, although my hubby and sister were pretty sure I didn't have one - ha, ha! I thought my hubby's was acts of service because he does so much for me, but as it turns out, his is a combination of three different ones.

I can pick out Little Mama's love language, she is definitely physical touch. Boop and Nature Girl are a little harder to pin point. EG is too young to tell. There is a book that discusses the love languages of children and that is next on my list.

It is going to be fun to love my family in their language and see what happens . . .


No comments: