Thursday, April 8, 2010

Book Review - Staying True

This was not a book I would have normally picked up to read. But, my sister recommended it and I thought sure, why not.

I don't watch the news so was unfamiliar with the story of Jenny Sanford, wife to Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina. Her husband, after years of running his campaigns on honor and accountability in government, had an affair (numerous affairs) and got caught.

It wasn't a poor me book by any stretch of the imagination. It was a book about a woman who believed in marriage and family and honor and respectability and God and her husband. She had a very healthy godly view of marriage and knew it wasn't perfect and knew it wouldn't be easy. But, also knew she would be very committed to whatever married life had in store for her. And, as she looked back on her courtship with her husband, she admits there were signs as to what type of man she was marrying.

Unfortunately, her story is all too real for many women. It is definitely a book that would encourage anyone going through such trials. I don't condone divorce, but Mrs. Sanford did all she could to save her marriage and just was not able to, through no fault of her own. It is a story of courage and determination. Of faith and hope.

A good summer (spring) read . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love reading memoirs, true stories, etc..... I might have to pick it up!