Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Relationships

Last week I went in to talk with our new pastor about some ideas I have for, let's say, a family type ministry. I don't think it is any surprise to those who read my blog that I am very family oriented. And that in this day and age, even in Christian homes, there is just not enough family time.

Anyway, as he and I were chatting he let me know that he felt relationships were the most important part of any church growth or witnessing. Now, I am paraphrasing and writing my interpretation of the whole conversation because I wouldn't want any one to quote me word for word about what he said.

But, I did come away with a new appreciation for my growth as a Christian and what my purpose is in encouraging other Christians and others I come in contact with. For me to effectively "minister" to others there has to be a relationship. I could be the facilitator of a group, or yelling on the street corner, but, for the most part, if there is no relationship, anything I have to say is mostly likely not going to be received.

So, that got me thinking about my relationships with God, my immediately family, my neighbors, my friends and even those I casually encounter or those people I come in contact with that I don't even know. If I am not working on those relationships, a two-way street, then I can not effectively witness or minister to them. (In my humble opinion.)

I have already been working on my relationship with God, it isn't perfect but it is better than it was last year or even a month ago, for that matter. Next on my list is my relationship with my hubby and my children. There is always room for improvement there. I will then continue to widen my circle of friends, neighbors etc. Being willing to "minister" to them as God calls me to.

I want to be used by God. And right now I think he is asking me to work on my own personal relationships. A tall order for me, but here we go . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

I just finished a book I know you were interested in -- Same Kind of Different as Me -- and there is a lot of talk about relationships in that book. I would highly recommend it to you, I think you would love it, I know I did.
Ann, I continue to be inspired by you and your faith. I can use all the "ministering" that you have time for :)

Ann said...

You are a great mom and a great friend and I love ya to pieces. So wish we were closer. And can't wait to read the book!