Thursday, April 29, 2010

Think Orange

I just started reading a new book. The premise of this particular book is that if the church (yellow, bright light, the lampstand) and the family (red, warm hearts) would work together (thus creating orange), what an effect it would have on this generation and the next generation and the next generation, etc. (You get the idea.) "Two combined influences make a greater impact than just two influences." (All my quotes, unless otherwise noted are from the book Think Orange by Reggie Joiner.)

I am on the second or third chapter (hard to tell because of the way the book is set up.) Anyway, the following quotes have resonated with me big time, especially because of where we are in our family, homeschooling, training up period of our lives:

"There is something that bothers me. A lot of Christian parenting books I have read start with the premise that there is an ideal mom or dad. Theses superparents conduct morning devotions, pray together every night, play contemporary Christian music, put framed verses on their walls, stay neatly within their biblical roles as husband and wife, vote conservatively, and attend church every week, where they give 10 percent of their income."

"The problem is, I don't find a lot of good parenting examples in the Bible." And he goes on to list some of the more well known biblical parents.

"This motivates me: My parents were exponentially better at parenting than their parents." Which, if you follow his theory, our children will be better parents then we were. That gives me hope.

In just the first few pages of the book, he is trying to explain that a family's role is to love and demonstrate God's character through an unconditional relationship. Of course, he does not minimize the obedience to God's laws. But, there has to be that relationship there first. An unconditional love relationship that mirrors God's love.

As a rule follower, an advice taker, and a huge consumer of family and marriage books, all this information was very up lifting. Being brutally honest here, having unconditional love relationships is not my strong suit. But, after reading a few pages of this book, along with things my pastor has said and my continuing "struggle" with certain things, I think I have stumbled on to something.

One of the greatest things I can do for my children is demonstrate my unconditional love for God, my unconditional love for my husband and my unconditional love for them. Put God as the center of our house, in ALL things. And show them I am not perfect BUT when I fail I can ask forgiveness from those I have offended and from God.

"It is important to help parents understand that their role is not to impress their children or anyone else with their ability to parent. Their role is to impress on their children the love and character of God. . . . you help them parent from the perspective of a bigger story, one that allows room for our missteps but still encourages us to participate."

"God is at work telling a story of restoration and redemption through your family . . . learn to cooperate with whatever God desires to do in your heart today so your children will have a front-row seat to the grace and goodness of God."

What a relief!! I don't have to be perfect, I don't have to get it right, I don't have to follow the Pearls (although the do have some really great ideas.) But, when I don't get it right (and I get it wrong more than I get it right) God is going to use all of it for His glory, His story.

I have much more to understand, much more to change, much more to contemplate, much more to figure out and learn. But, I think I am on to something . . .

No comments: