Saturday, April 3, 2010

Unexpected Turn of Events

Today I was suppose to clean the master bath. Oh boy, did it need it. Honestly, way past needing it. Have I mentioned how much I hate to clean the house? I love to straighten and organize (although those of you who have been to the house would probably doubt that.)

I debated whether or not I was going to post about today. But, as I have said from the beginning, blogging is therapeutic for me and it is also a way for me to document my, our, lives. And to leave today out, would not be an actual recounting of our family history. So, here it goes. . .

The kids and I went to the grocery store. Yes, on a Saturday. I have found if I get there before 10AM, it is pretty empty. As we are leaving the store, most every one else is coming to the store.

Anyway, we got home and unloaded the car. The big kids were playing in the front yard, I think. EG was wondering around the house, getting into everything, as usual. For a little while she was playing with some toys in the living room. I was thankful she wasn't underfoot. I was making good progress getting all my groceries put away. But, all of a sudden, I wondered where she was? I hadn't heard her in awhile and she was not underfoot.

Unfortunately I found her on the floor, somewhere she shouldn't be, with a bunch of pills laying all around her. I immediately screamed and did a figure swipe of her mouth to get any medication out of her mouth. I honestly had no idea whether or not she had ingested anything. But knowing she puts EVERYTHING in her mouth, I knew the chances were good that she had.

I knew I had to call 911 but I had to call daddy first because if he heard our address on his radio he would freak. Of course he told me to call 911, which I did, and he flipped his light bar on and made it to the house in 5 minutes. Before the ambulance.

The dispatcher was fabulous. She got all my info and contacted poison control and they told me what to do and what might happen. The dispatcher continually told me to remain calm and to take deep breathes. The ambulance finally arrived a few minutes later, although it felt like a life time.

EG was still being EG. Running, smiling and just being her. All the neighbors were outsde and then the fire engine showed up. A real spectacle. EG and I got into the ambulance and the paramedic got vitals and we went on our way to the hospital. They were running routine, no lights and sirens. She seemed OK.

On our way to the hospital she started to become lethargic. Her pupils dilated. I told the paramedic that her behavior was not normal. He asked if it were close to her nap time and I said sort of. But, I continued to let him know that she never, ever sits still. I asked him if we could go faster. She just wasn't right. She started to look kind of pale and was slow to respond. He told the driver to turn on the lights and get us to the hospital. (Nobody, and I mean nobody, knows a child better than the mama!)

I started to pray over her. Asking God to spare my baby. I cried. I was border line hysterical. I just wanted to get to the hospital and it seemed like it was taking forever and she just seemed to be getting worse. I just kept praying, begging God to leave me my baby. I will never forget how I felt. Yet, to remember it seems like a bad dream.

We finally got to the hospital. Honestly, I don't remember much about that part. She was groggy. She was wanting to sleep. The only way they check for drugs in the system is by a urine test. So, because she had good vitals they decided to try to give her lots of fluids and put a urine bag on her instead of a catheter. Worked for me. I am a noninvasive kind of gal.

After about a bottle of Gatorade she just wouldn't pee. By this time she was sound asleep. A drug induced sleep I was certain. The doctor, I don't think believed she had anything in her. He kept asking me about nap time. I kept telling him, nap time or not, she was not, ever, this still. She still hadn't peed. They tried a catheter two different times and couldn't get it in. Each time, she would wake up long enough to cry and protest but then would immediately go back to sleep.

Finally after a three/four hour nap they decided to draw blood. By this time I had convinced them enough that something was definitely wrong with her. So, we knew what the two pills were that she could possibly have ingested and one of the treatments was charcoal. So, they brought her one big ol' oral syringe of it. And for 15 minute the nurse and I struggled to give it to her. Nasty, dark and thick. (She eventually threw some of it up.)

Finally she finished it, but went right back to sleep. They decided one last time to put a catheter in to get urine to be tested. This time they had a different lady who was the best on the floor. She was successful with a minimal amount of trouble. By this time we had been in the ER for at least 5 hours.

The last cath try woke EG up enough that she started to act like herself. At least she would sit up and look around to see what was going on. Pupils still dilated and still slow to respond. Up until that point, she had been laying/sleeping on me and had not uttered a word. Except for calling for daddy once after they stuck her. But now, she was "talking" just a little bit. Things were starting to look better.

The urine test came back positive for the drug she had already been treated for. What a blessing. The doctor was a little surprised that she had something in her system. I guess he was still holding to the fact that it was nap time. But, in his defense, he did not know my EG!

About an hour after that, we were discharged. With instructions just to watch her. And if there were any change, whatsoever, to come back.

I am not even going to go into all the emotions I have felt today. Most of them are indescribable. The only emotion or feeling I have right now is tiredness and utter thankfulness.

I hold to the fact that God allows things for His purpose, His plan. Sometimes we have no idea what that purpose or plan is. Today was one of those days. As daddy and I had time to talk in the ER, we knew that one good thing to come out of all this, is our need to be more diligent around the house with things that are potentially dangerous. I am sort of guilty in thinking "It won't happen to us." Why do I think that? I have know idea. Do I know that it can? Most definitely. I don't kid myself, I DO KNOW accidents can happen. But, we, as a family are responsible to do our best to make sure that they don't. So, one lesson learned. It CAN happen to us. And by God's great grace and awesome mercy, we are all happy and healthy, today. For that, I am eternally thankful . . .

7 comments:

Diane Moody said...

Oh my GOSH, Annie!!! I'm reading this with tears rolling down my face even though I know NOTHING I'm feeling can come close to all the emotions you experienced yesterday! I THANK GOD for your diligence to act immediately and get help. To think of the what-ifs is unbearable - primarily because I'm all too familiar with the alternatives . . . years ago a friend's toddler got into her Dad's left-over malaria meds (after his mission trip to Africa) . . . she did not survive. Which is why I had goosebumps reading your post.

Oh God, THANK YOU for sparing EG! Thank You for Annie's persistence with the doctors! THANK YOU FOR THIS MIRACLE!!! Today, on this holiest day of miracles I will not stop praising Him for EG's miracle!!!

Ann said...

All the way to the hospital I kept thinking about other mothers' children whom God called to come home. All I could do was selfishly pray that yesterday was not EG's. Thank God, thank God, thank God!

Katie said...

I feel mad at the ER docs for not believing you, that they didn't do more for her right away. I can't imagine what that was like for you. I'm so glad your baby is okay.

Katie said...

P.S. Love the new picture with the coordinated outfits :)

Diane Moody said...

I agree with Katie - it's what Ken & I have keep talking about. How DARE the doctors/paramedics doubt what you were telling them!?!? Would not any SANE doctor err on the side of caution when a child's life was at stake?! GOOD GRIEF!! I think you are Mother of the Year for staying after them!!

LOVE the new photo! The kids looks so adorable!!

Just talked to your mom. Good to get updated on everything. She really counts her blessings to be in such good care there with you all.

Love to all,
d

Janet said...

Ann! Wow, what an experience you had! I cannot imagine in the ambulance seeing your baby changing before your eyes. When Julia was 1 and had to be hospitalized for 4 days, I remember praying over her, pouring my heart out to God to spare her-- nothing like it and nothing like that answered prayer. So thankful she is fine!

Mary Beth said...

Oh Ann - WOW! What a story and how terrifying. I had goosebumps reading your story - I honestly cannot imagine how you felt. I am so so so glad that EG is fine. Sounds like you handled it all perfectly too, Mom - good for you!