Friday, April 23, 2010

I Love Boop This Much

Almost every night (unless a sporting event is on) I read aloud to the kids. The past few nights we have been reading in "grandma's room" so that she can hear the story too. I put EG down for the night and we all meet in the front room.

We just finished up The Door in the Wall and a couple nights ago we started Tanglewood Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne (NG loves Greek mythology). Anyway, Boop and NG were in the bed with Grandma and LM and I were on the floor. The story is about the Minotaur and I was reading about King Aegeus and his wife Medea. I read the following passage describing Medea:

"As I have already told you, she was a famous enchantress. According to some stories, she was in the habit of boiling old people in a large caldron, under pretence of making them young again; . . ." All of a sudden I heard the giggling and snickering come from up on the bed.

I finally asked what was so funny. Grandma proceeded to tell me that Boop just elbowed her and said "If your not careful, that could happen to you." Well, my mom thought was the funniest, cutest thing she had heard in awhile. I had to chuckle too. But, I also had the following thoughts: first, for our read alouds at night they are always pretty difficult books, not ones a four year old is typically being read. My second thought was "WOW, he is actually listening" and my last thought was "he is actually comprehending what I am reading!" I was amused by his comment and impressed by his smarts!

Then, the little guy woke up this morning with a bloody nose. Daddy told him maybe his stuffed animals were beating him up in the middle of the night! (I envision this battle taking place on his inflatable bed that he is still sleeping on in the girls room.) So, now I will be curious to see what he has to say when he goes to bed tonight.

I love having a little boy . . .

2 comments:

Diane Moody said...

Reading your post, I could hear Carol's laugh in my head, along with that contagious "little boy" laughter that Boop surely has! OH MY GOSH, that is the funniest thing I've heard in forever! To think he elbowed his grandma with that warning - I can't stop laughing!!!

Katie said...

Love it :)