Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Heightened State of Awareness

My original post was going to be about what makes me happy. But, as I sat down to my computer, to write my blog, I had to immediately get up and rescue EG from the top of a porcelain elephant that she used to stand up on to look out the little windows on the side of the door. About 2 feet from the ground. On top of a tile entry way.

This made me change my post. Ever since EG's little episode 10 days ago, we have been on a heightened state of awareness. Some conscious, some unconscious. It is constantly "Where's EG??" "What is EG doing?" "Has anybody seen EG recently?" "What does EG have in her mouth?" "What is she playing with now?" It is constant, whenever she is awake. It is like sitting on pins and needles all day long. Just waiting for something to happen.

She is up on top of the couch before you even realize she is near the couch. And running back and forth. If she hears a bathroom, bedroom or garage door open (any place she isn't to be), she is through the door before you even know it.

She is in every cupboard, every cabinet, every nook and cranny (behind the couch) in an instant. She is in the chair, on top of the table, pulling the curtains down before I have even had my breakfast.

Now, she pulls Buster's tail, pokes him in the eye, pulls on his collar. All in an effort, I guess, to show who is boss. She opens drawers and pulls things off the counters. Nap time is a must. Whoever takes a chance and possibly wakes her will pay dearly. We have changed her nickname to Wrecking Ball.

As one of the Olivia book's says "You know, you really wear me out." But, I will admit, when I sit here and think about her, I do smile. I just can't help it. I am all to aware of what the alternative could be . . .

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

So #4 is it huh???!!! LOL!

Ann said...

Oh most definitely. Funny how that works out. Totally OK with it!

Katie said...

This mother is going through EXACTLY what you are:

http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/2010/04/close-calls-and-how-much-i-hate-them.html

(I hope the link works)

Katie said...

Okay, the link doesn't work, but if you type it or copy it, it should get you there.

Ann said...

Great blog, Katie. We are all so very blessed by missing those 30 seconds where things could go, oh, so wrong.

Diane Moody said...

After reading your post here, I TOTALLY see the comparison to the main character in the Olivia books! Like you could trace EG's tracks in red dotted lines around your house and on your furniture and in your drawers . . . and you're right, you've gotta smile!