Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dry Erase Boards

My friend made a joke yesterday about all the dry erase boards around her house. She has three, I think, but they all fulfill a certain purpose. Been there, done that. I have three, at last count. But, I know I had more at one time. I just finally needed to get rid of some of them.

My purpose changes for each one. Right now, I have one for math. Kids dig doing math on a dry erase board. Instead of buying all the fancy manipulatives, I just draw most of it on the board.

In the beginning of my homeschooling journey, I bought one that I was going to write on every day. I had read somewhere that to encourage a new reader, write a sentence on it and day after day it would tell a story. That dry erase board was huge and I think that is the one I have gotten rid of.

Little Mama used one to practice writing. I still have that one because it has nifty little lines on it.

My newest addition is a pretty, small, square, white board with a sky blue boarder and I keep in the kitchen. It has four sections: training, to-dos, chores for the day and major projects. It has worked pretty well. I have found that if I just write it down, somewhere where I can see it, be reminded about it, then I am more likely to get it done.

There have been times when the kids have done something for which they deserve some type of punishment. Dessert taken away for example. Hard to believe, I know. ;) By the time dinner would roll around, I would forget all about the punishment. But, not now! It goes under the "training" heading. I also list habits we are working on. Right now it is making sure that the proper cleaning is being done in the shower. Also, under training, is my goal to teach Nature Girl how to iron. Lastly, is mine and Boop's sessions on how to brush teeth properly. It is amazing to me what I can forget, so know I have a daily reminder of what I want/need to get done.

Under daily chore is what The Flylady tells me to do for the day. I also include any chore hubby has asked me to do. When I accomplish those tasks I erase them off. It is a great feeling.

There is a section for a major chore or task I am trying to accomplish. Something that will take more than a day or two. Right now I am working on photo albums of the family to send out. I have finally finished the actual albums, now I just have to address the envelopes and send them out. But, I won't erase it until it is completely done. Because I know me well enough, that if I erase it too soon, it will take me forever to mail them.

The last section is the "to-do" section and it has little odds and ends like making phone calls or fix the dresser. Things that need to get done sooner rather than later. But, there is never more than two or three under that heading. Otherwise it gets overwhelming and then nothing gets done.

I am finally getting into some type of rhythm. Sort of. I am finding things that work for us. I get my ideas from a bunch of other women and mash them all together. And then see what works. And I am getting there. Slowly, but surely.

Anyway, all that to say, I am all for dry erase boards. And many of them . . .

2 comments:

Diane Moody said...

Another catch up day for me on your posts. Always love knowing what you've been up to. I can't BELIEVE how big EG is getting! I still haven't met her, you know . . . how has THAT happened!?

Love you madly, miss you terribly!

Ann said...

That is not right that you have not met her!! We need to work on that . . . Love ya!!