Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mother of the Year

Little Mama has been after me for about 2 months about this "thing" on her stomach. At first I thought it was a bug bite, but she said it didn't itch.

Then a couple weeks later, I thought it was a common skin thing that both EG and Boop have had. But, after like the fifth time she came to me, I told her to have daddy look at it. He is pretty good about diagnosing those type of things.

So, this afternoon, after she jumped on the couch and noticed it hurt, she asked daddy to look at it. He informed me it was some type of cyst or abscess and it needed to be looked at. I felt like a heel. So, I immediately called the doctor and they were able to get her in right away.

Because I felt guilty and wanted to take the opportunity to spend time with LM alone, we left a little early and I took her to Starbuck's. I ordered a Peppermint Mocha and she ordered a water. We ran into our neighbor there, so chatted with him for a little bit.

After a 45 minute wait at the doctor's office, the doctor was able to see us. It turned out it was some type of abscess. And it needed to be drained. What made this even worse (if you can even imagine that) when we first got into the exam room, she asked me if she was going to get a shot. Of course, I was thinking immunization shots. So, laughingly I was like "Oh, no. We aren't here for that."

So, when the doc hauled out the needle and then the scalpel, I was making LM all kinds of wonderful promises. She got to have mac and cheese for dinner and we picked out a movie for tomorrow night.

Kind of a painful lesson for me to learn. I have got to pay better attention. . .

2 comments:

MollyMcFarland said...

Oh no! Give her a big hug and kiss from sissy.

Katie said...

I think there has to be that little bit of "wait and see" otherwise I'd be running to the doctor weekly. If the kid keeps mentioning it, get a second opinion (I usually ask my sister).
So I'm saying I would've done the same thing!