Monday, January 31, 2011

Prayer

Our pastor is a big advocate for prayer. During Worship on Wednesday, we spend a good amount of time in prayer. As we enter the Multipurpose Room, we are each handed a brightly colored sheet that is a list of prayer requests from church members and regular attenders alike. We are encourage, during our prayer time, to huddle up with 3 or 4 others and pray out loud for those requests. Or any other that God has laid on our heart.

At first it can be a little unnerving. Praying out loud. With somebody you don't know. You don't have to pray out loud and you don't have to huddle up, but our pastor encourages it. The point is, to just pray. Come before God and be an intercessor.

My "religion" is based on a relationship with Jesus Christ. I believe that He died on a cross for me. A sinner. So that I may have eternal life. The difference with what I believe and a lot of other religions is that my beliefs are based on a personal relationship with Jesus.

And, as I have been teaching the kids, the only way to have a relationship, with anyone, is to talk. And, the way to talk with God and learn God's heart for us, is prayer. Just like a new friend, you talk with them, you listen, you learn about them. What they like, what they don't like. Thoughts, feelings and dreams of another can only be learned by conversation.

It works much the same way with God. Prayer, along with reading His word, grows me. It matures me as a follower of Christ. The more I am in prayer (or conversation) with God, the more I start to understand His heart for me. The more I pray, the more encouraged I am to read His word. And my personal relationship with Christ grows.

Does that mean I have all the answers? Does that mean my life is perfect? Oh no! But, it does mean that I start to understand that I am not here to just live and then die. I am here for His purpose. Which is His perfect will for my life.

My relationship with Jesus is growing everyday. But, I do go through different stages of prayer. Because of the stage of life I am in, right now, a mom with young children, my morning prayer time isn't always a given. But, it gives me a little comfort to know I can pray and worship Him at anytime about anything.

And that is joy and hope for me . . .

No comments: