Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Hate Math

I would never let my kids see this post. At least not right now! It is amazing to me what 3rd Grade math looks like. NG is learning pre-algebra already. At least what I call pre-algebra! She and I struggle almost everyday with concepts. And, applying the concepts that she learned yesterday to the problems on the math sheet today.

It is a little easier with LM because some of hte repetitive stuff she is doing, I know will come in handy in the higher math levels.

We try to do math everyday, even if we don't accomplish much else. I really believe, now, it is something that has to be done and practiced over and over. Even though the repittion seems monotonus. I will say, though, once a concept is truly mastered, I won't make either girl continue on with the repetitiveness of the concept.

I am a half a year "behind" with LM. Mostly because she started school the year EG was born and we just got off to a slow start. I am a little over half way with Nature Girl's math curriculum from last year and that is just because it takes a long time for her to do her math sheet. Not because she is dwaddling (most days.) But, because the problems are so darn hard and time consuming.

Both girls are given 30 minutes to do their math. Of that half hour, I spend 15 minutes with each to review and introduce new concepts. Nature Girl could use my attention for the whole 30 minutes. We have started to finish up math during rest time. Which is no fun for either one of us.

I am thankful I am not having to do this at nighttime in the form of homework. But, I am not sure what I am going to do for the future. I am not one to worry about this stuff. And really I am not worried. But, I do feel we have to tweak our plan. Whether it is just slow the math pace down. Which I would prefer. Or, spend more time doing math. Everyday.

My plan is to wait until 2011-2012 planning starts. In just a couple of months. And not let the girls know how much the math annoys me. . . ;)

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

This post was a blessing to me because I hate math time too! I can't tell you how nice it feels to hear that it aint just me and Emily! We are struggling too and it really could take us 3 hours sometimes to get through a days math...I've gotten to where I'm making her do "getting ahead for the next day" 15 minutes before bed just to get a heads start on the next days math sheet...We just now learned long division with remainders and she is still practicing multiplication, division, and all the stuff like time, money, fractions, weights and measurements...ahhhh!!