Monday, January 17, 2011

Scripture Memorization

In Psalm 119:11 God encourages me to hide His word in my heart. There was a group of people a long, long time ago, that memorized the whole Bible. Back in their day, hundreds of years ago, it was against the law to have a bible translated into the English language. The only bible they could have was one printed in Latin and the masses couldn't read Latin. So, they would get an English bible, memorize the whole thing, and then get rid of the bible so they would get caught with the "evidence."

This was part of our lesson yesterday in LifeGroup (Sunday School). Our teacher was encouraging us to memorize scripture. Tuck it away in our hearts. We took a few minutes to memorize a verse, Matthew 6:20-21 because it applies to what we are studying in our class. (The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn.)

As he talked about the importance of scripture memorization, he also gave some hints on how to do it. He is said to ask "how, when, where, why, what." Mediate on what the scripture might mean. Ask God to speak to me about what that scripture is saying, specifically to me.

Up until I started teaching the kids, I never really thought much about scripture memorization. I had memorized a few that would help me, especially during troubling times during pregnancy or other difficult times. But, other than that - nothing. No real effort to memorize.

I knew I wanted the kids to memorize Scripture (and I guess, me right along with them.) I know God wants us to do it and I know it has benefits for our walk in our daily Christian lives. Up until yesterday, we would periodically go through about two dozen or so verses that we have learned. But, I never really thought how intensely I needed to learn it and meditate on it.

But, yesterday's tips, helped me to really "own" those verses. Not just mere memorization but the love and study and application and meaning of all of those words, that have been so wonderfully given to us. So, today, we started at the very beginning. With the verses we are learning for this year. Which just happen to be our family rules.

We took the very first verse we learned "Let your gentleness be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." Philippians 4:5. We broke it down. What did it mean? Who wrote it? Why? How does it apply to each one of us collectively and individually?

It seems so simple. It makes all the words mean more. Kind of makes them come alive. It makes it a lot easier to learn. I like having new tool in my tool box to help me in all this learning and growing . . .

No comments: