Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Apparently I Am Too Old . . .

to do a cartwheel. So this is my story: On Monday the girls were in the front yard practising their tumbling. I was feeling my oats and decided to do a cartwheel (successfully I might add) and a couple of handstands. All is well. The girls thought I was cool. Effect achieved. The rest of the evening was fine. About 12:30AM, my first EG feeding, I noticed my neck hurt - bad. I continued to nurse EG and get her back in bed thinking I had slept funny. During the second middle of the night feeding I still had the same problem only now it was down to my angel wing (shoulder blade.) I finished feeding her and then tried to settle in for a few more hours of sleep hoping the problem would go away. When I got up yesterday morning I was sore but I was able to move around and do my thing. By school time I was in pain. I am not a medicine taker. I have to be almost crippled before I even take a Tylenol (for many different reasons.) Anyway, I grabbed the Tylenol bottle and there were two left. I took them, didn't think anything more about it and the pain subsided to a level that I was able to continue school and do my housework (rats!!) It still hurt but it was manageable. By the time lunch was over the pain had come back and it was getting worse. I knew the littles would be going down for a nap so I was just trying to make it till then. All of a sudden the pain was excruciating. I must have done something to aggravate my injury. I was in tears and moaning it hurt so bad. I tried to call daddy, CoCo and Sissy. No one answered which only heightened the pain (I think I was panicking.) Finally I was able to reach Sissy at work. By then I was on my knees by the couch just sobbing in pain. My sister talked with me for a few minutes and I was able to refocus off the pain and gather my wits. By then daddy had called and said CoCo was on the way. Then the pain started to spasm and I called daddy back because I was scared and didn't know what to do. He offered to call the ambulance but I didn't think that was necessary. How embarrassing "How did you injure yourself?" "Ah, showing off to my girls by doing a cartwheel." "And how old are you?" "Yea, but it was only a cartwheel." Anyway, the meds CoCo brought I had to check to make sure I could take while nursing. A call to the docs office got me a prescription of Percocet. The people at the doc's office were a blessing (and so was CoCo). It was daddy's long day to work so I was by myself until after nine. The Percocet kicked in and all was well. It still hurt but I am pretty sure I didn't care. It made the middle of the night nursings doable and this morning so far so good. We will see what the rest of the day brings. I will try to take it easy but life goes on. I promised daddy no more cartwheels. . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

Ooh, I'm having bad flashbacks to my neck/back/arm pain when I was pregnant with Luke. It was torture.

I'm so glad you're feeling better!

p.s. I don't think I ever executed a proper cartwheel, even when I was young enough to do it.

Ann said...

As I was typing I was actually thinking of you :)

Diane Moody said...

Oh my goodness! I'm in tears! Just imagining that kind of pain getting worse and worse.... and unable to reach anyone! But I'm glad you got the meds and you're feeling a little better.

I'm catching up on your recent posts and of course cried when I read of the gifts your kids gave you for Mother's Day! That is so precious! To give you something they love - wow! Then those adorable pictures of your little ballerinas - oh my goodness! The tears just keep falling. Such a treat & thank you for sharing! Love to all.