Monday, May 11, 2009

The Patience Myth

So, on Friday I finally went and had my hair cut after 7 months I think. It was great. It was nice just to sit there and let someone take care of me for a change. I went to a teaching salon so I even got a bonus head and shoulder massage along with my haircut and style all for $12! The lady was really very nice. She was older and really very easy to chat with. So we got to talking (yea! adult conversation). Of course she asked about me and I told her I was a homeschooling mom with four kids and I gave her the ages. She then told me that she thought about homeschooling. So we got to talking about it. As many people say when you tell them you homeschool, especially when you have a house full of kids, "Wow, I just don't have the patience for that." And I always, always try to make people understand, I DON'T EITHER. I want to clear up the myth that you have to have patience to be a homeschooler. It is definitely not a qualification. If anything, I think God called me to homeschool because I needed to work on my patience (or lack thereof.) I always feel bad. Like people think I am something that I am not. Ask my kids, they will be more than happy to tell you I HAVE NO PATIENCE. But, I do think I have more patience then I did three years ago. Maybe. I always want to make it clear, you don't need patience to be a homeschooler. I would never want someone not to homeschool because they don't have patience. I always want to advocate for homeschooling, for anyone who is led by God . . .

No comments: