Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Homeschool Refocus


I think if you choose to homeschool (led by God) it can be about so much more than just an education. When Nature Girl approached the age of five we started to consider what some of our options were. I have a very dear friend who is a homeschooler and she would, in love, always mention homeschooling as an option. My response was "Oh no, that is NOT for me." I was pretty sure I wanted NG to go to this really great Christian school across town. Then I got pregnant and their tuition pamphlet. So then we explored a school run by the local college. I even had NG tested to see if she could get in. But during that time I started to have a change of heart. I can't really explain how it happened. I don't remember really praying about it. All I remember was when the test results and admissions paperwork came in the mail from the school, I prayed all the way down the driveway that she wouldn't get in. Part of me wanted to homeschool but I wasn't sure daddy was on board and I didn't want to consciously make that choice.

In the beginning it was all about academics. I bought the greatest curriculum in a box. It had it all. Language arts, science, history, Bible. I had to add math and reading. It was a five day schedule and to get it all done everyday I think it took like 2-3 hours. Given my nature we had to do it all, everyday. We had to finish the schedule of the week during THAT week. If we got behind or if NG got sick, I would stress. We were not really flexible. We didn't take days off that were not scheduled. I stressed NG out and I stressed me out.

As we finish up our third year of homeschooling, adding a second student and two babies. I have learned a few things about homeschooling. The only schedule I have to keep is mine. My kids don't have to keep up with public school kids. We can go four days a week. We can have school during the summer. And most importantly homeschooling is not just about education! That is the hardest one to really grasp for me. Yesterday morning instead of starting school right at 9 we heard a strange sound. We went out front to try to figure out what it was. We searched all around and found the sound coming from the live oak tree. We kept looking. Finally we figured out it was a woodpecker. I bet we sat and watched it for about 15 minutes! It really was pretty fascinating. Our school day for two kids is 2 hours, maybe 2 1/2. We take days off to celebrate other homeschoolers birthdays. We focus on manners, habits, Godly character (right now is modesty). Those things that are eternal. We work on patience, attentiveness and doing things right the first time. I would much rather have two perfectly written "a"s then a whole page of terrible writing. We read great literature written years and years ago. Did you know that most of the Disney princesses are taken from stories written close to 100 years ago. I did not know that. We have read the original Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin and the Forty Thieves, just to name a few.

The reason for this post is I ran across an article "If I Could Do It Over Again, Here's What I Would Do Differently . . ." These are a few of the comments that spoke to me. As long as we continue to homeschool, I am going to try to keep these few things in mind:

"I wouldn't worry so much about formal schooling and academics in Preschool, Kindergarten and Grade One. There would have been less (or no) worksheets and more time to have fun. I would have spent more time outdoors and given my child the tools with which to explore and create."

"Less curriculum, more reading and enjoying my children."

"Relax more about my expectations and have more fun with the kids, realizing that life is full of learning."

"I would play more while they are young. I would also focus on training in good habits and wait for the academics."

"I love homeschooling. If I could change something, I would have more patience. The lord is using our homeschooling journey to help that department." THIS IS SOOOO ME!!

"Homeschooling is a progression and most people go through the same steps. School at home . . . de-schooling . . finding your own way (unschooling, eclectic, etc.) -- this all seems necessary . . so I would not change anything. (Well, maybe I would try to spend less money - especially in the beginning.)" SO TRUE!!

"I'd worry less about getting book work done every day and make more opportunities to learn through play. I will never regret the enjoyable times, only that there weren't more of them."

"Enjoying them more, not getting caught up in the tyranny of the urgent. Letting go of what other people think. Making sure that I had their heart as opposed to outward obedience." WORKING ON THIS BIG TIME!!!

"I wouldn't procrastinate so much. The time has just flown away. "I'll do that with the children in one minute, (one hour, one day, one week)", and the time is gone."

"Stop stressing about how much we get done in a year. The is no hard & fast rule that "Math Textbook A" needs to be finished in "X" amount of time. The beauty of homeschooling is that you can relax and let the kids move at their own pace."

"I would not force-teach a skill when it was clearly straining. I have learned that if I wait for more signs of readiness, or present it in very small and unimposing ways, there is an "I can" attitude and ambitious spirit that comes along and takes a child much much farther."

"I would concentrate more on a home "education" and less on a home "school." At first I tried to reproduce a classroom at home. That was a mistake. Education has nothing to do with a classroom and everything to do with the heart and mind." MY GOAL FOR NEXT YEAR :)

"I would relax more and enjoy the process. Teaching a child isn't like aiming a fire hose of knowledge at them and expecting them to drink from it. It is more about forming relationships and connections even if they aren't reading or performing at grade level. It is more important to just handle the subject matter at the child's pace."

My reasons for homeschooling have changed so much in the past three years. They have gone from my only option to a way of life for us. It is far from perfect every day. My family and I have a lot of growing in Christ to do. But I am so blessed and thankful for the opportunity that God has given me. Obviously I am a homeschooling proponent and very thankful for my very good friend who encouraged me . . .

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

Y'know, if I'd had your example when my kids were little, I think I actually might have tried homeschooling! (I did one year with Hannah - but for a different reason.) You have learned so much and goodness, what a BLESSING it's been to your kids! They have NO IDEA what a difference it's making in their lives! Hats off to you!!

Catching up (I'm FINALLY back up on wireless!!) - making baby food - AWESOME! Sounds amazing!! Weekend with Sissy's graduation and Grandma visiting - so fun!! Missing all of you!!!!