Thursday, May 21, 2009

Foreign Languages

For the last three years I have unsuccessfully taught my children Spanish. I have about four years worth of classes under my belt. And if and when I ever go back to school I want to get a degree in Spanish Literature, Art, Culture etc. So when I was trying to decide what language I wanted the kids to learn, Spanish just seemed like the natural choice. Especially considering where ever we go everything seems to be written in English and Spanish (topic for another post if I am ever brave enough.) Anyway, I have workbooks, flashcards, sticker books, CDs of music. Well, you get the idea. One day last week I was looking over some of the E-mails I get from a homeschool group I belong to. Normally I delete most of them because they don't pertain to me. But one of them caught my attention. It said French tutor. I had just read on Ambleside Online (the website I use for choosing books, curriculum etc.) that Charlotte Mason recommended French sto be the first language learned. Charlotte Mason's thoughts on that were once French was mastered/learned all other languages would come much easier. Of course I liked the idea of that but in reality I knew it would never happen. There was no way I could teach French. I haven't a clue about the French language.

Well, I opened the E-mail and a lady was offering her services as a French tutor. Near as I could tell she was recently married, was from Switzerland and had married into one of our more well known homeschooling families. I E-mailed her just out of curiosity about how young she started, what the cost would be, etc. She is on her way back to Switzerland next week and was willing to look for things to teach younger kids. So, I think in the beginning she will come once every other week. Just so we can get our feet wet and see if French is really for us. She also said she would teach me and Little Mama right along with Nature Girl. And the price I thought was relatively inexpensive. I am soooo excited. I am looking forward to her coming to our house and teaching us a beautiful language. . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

How fun! I don't think I know any French words. Oui. Garcon. Croissant.
My boys have been learning Spanish for the past two years. I hope they remember more than I did from my two high school years. All I retained from that are food words. Oh, and cat. Gato. And dog. Perro.
Anyway, did you have Spanish in high school. Mr. Duaime?

Ann said...

I had Duaime! What a train wreck he was. Were we in the same class? I had Kelly and Mark M.

Katie said...

I had Andy M and Becky B. I spent 0% of my time listening to Mr. D and 100% of my time talking and laughing with Andy and Becky.