Saturday, May 16, 2009

Guilt

Every mother I know suffers from some type of guilt. The American Heritage College dictionary defines guilt as: 1. The fact of being responsible for the commission of an offense. 2. Culpability of a crime or lesser breach of regulations that carries a legal penalty. 3. Remorseful awareness of having done something wrong. b. Self-reproach for supposed inadequacy or wrong-doing. 4. Guilty conduct; sin. If you ask me those are pretty tough words. Now, I can only speak from my experiences. Yes, I have felt guilt over many choices I have made. Some I just didn't know any better. Some I just didn't care. All are forgiven. But forgiveness isn't the topic this time. I think a lot of moms feel guilt when they shouldn't. We compare ourselves to what others do and we can't do that. We all are so different. We have different families. We have different circumstances. No two families, no two moms are the same. I have felt guilty for a time about some mothering choices I have made but in retrospect, I have made decision based on information, knowledge and the person I was at that time. I couldn't have done it differently unless I had different information, was a different person etc. My most recent bout with guilt was just trying to keep up with another mom. She barely knew me but she had the power to make me feel guilty. She had answers to all my problems. But they were all based on her life and her experiences. But when I realized her circumstances were different, she had different priorities, and I let God take control, I was able to release the guilt. So many things in life are gray areas (ugh). There are no right or wrong choices per se. I do think if I find myself defending my position because of guilt then maybe I need to do some outward and/or inward examining. Change may not be necessarily but maybe just getting my heart right. There are things in my life I don't feel the need to explain because I am following God and he has pointed me in that direction. Those decisions I don't feel the need to explain. Those decisions don't bring guilt. At least not in my experience. It is all the things I try to justify that bring guilt. And if I am trying to justify them then maybe I need to pray about them and try to listen for God's response. I would have to say, right now, I am guilt free. For this moment. I am sure that will change. Sooner rather than later. . .

2 comments:

Diane Moody said...

You know what's really ironic? You may have had some "guilt" after being around that mother who seemed to have it all together. But likewise, there are probably TONS of mothers who look at you and think, "Gosh, I wish I could be the kind of mother she is!" I so wish I would have "mothered" my kids the way you're mothering yours. But like you said, we're all in different situations, with different dynamics and different personalities.

You're a GREAT mom! And your kids are sooooo blessed!
Diane
p.s. (Is there a penalty for bloviating too much on someone else's blog comments? OUCH!)

Ann said...

You are my cheerleader!! I love you for it!! Comment away!!