Saturday, May 30, 2009

Last Day of School

I periodically check out Facebook and this past week everyone was posting about how it was the children's' last day of school. And it occurred to me Thursday was our last day of school. It was somewhat of a nonevent. We tried to finish up our week's worth of work but fell a little shy. We managed to finish copywork and math and our assigned chapters in Our Island Story, Pilgrim's Progress, Seabird and Pagoo. But we didn't get to Parables of Nature, Wind in the Willows and Heidi. I figure we can read those at night before bed.

Most of the posts I read on Facebook were moms saying they were so excited about the summer. I am too because I have big plans to get to things done that I just don't have time to get to during the school year. But to be honest, I don't ever get it all done. In fact, I am happy if I get half of it done. OK, if I get any of it done. I do kind of like the routine of school every morning. The kids have a purpose and aren't wandering around the house aimlessly. But, during the summer the morning is the best time to play outside. About 11AM things start to heat up and get real humid. So, in the morning out they go. Late afternoon is for the redneck pool.

My plan is to have the kids do a little math everyday regardless. It is one of those subjects that is learned better with less struggle if you just keep up with it. Thankfully the girls don't have a problem with that. They like math. Especially Little Mama. Well, I guess that is enough for today. Back to enjoying the second day off from school . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yeah, I agree with you, the school routine is nice. But I'm looking forward to summer too. Only 3 more days for us!