Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Boot Camp


My First Offender Weeding the Garden
So, I have decided to start school next week. It will be very relaxed but hopefully productive. There are a couple of reasons for doing this. First, we are way behind which I know I have mentioned before. Second, it is hotter than you know what outside and the kids don't want to go out and play. (Can't say as I blame them. ) So, I figure if we put forth a good schooling effort now, when the weather is beautiful we can take lots of days off to play out side etc. I think it is a good plan!

Anyway, in an effort to get ready for school we are having Boot Camp this week. An idea given to me by my wise friend who in turn got it from another wise friend. Boot Camp in a nutshell is this: you pick one or two things that each child needs to work on and when that child doesn't do those one or two things they pick a card that has a chore on it (preferably something I need done that isn't too pleasant). Some of our chores are: clean inside the car, weed the garden, clean windows, take out recycling, take out composting. We have started with first time obedience. We are back on some kind of routine - limited morning TV, chore charts and math. I figure if we can get first time obedience down then maybe we won't have to do Boot Camp too often. We started yesterday and I thought it went pretty well. I had no offenders which was a little surprising. (Today not so lucky) But, before we did school I took the time to explain the concept and why exactly we were doing it. We also got out the bible and I read to them in Exodus 20 (I think) (10 Commandments) where God actually says if you honor your mother and your father you will have a long life in the land that He has given us. So, yes, they need to honor, obey and respect but it is not just what I say it is what God has commanded. And He has given a blessing with that command. I want them to start to understand that God will be with them everywhere. In places that I will never be. We will see how the rest of the week goes . . .

No comments: