Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yesterday


First thing in the AM we had EG's follow up appointment with the vascular surgeon. The last time we went we had to wait quite some time. Thankfully this time when we walked in the waiting room wasn't quite so full. When the nurse came out and called EG's name it took me a minute to realize they were calling her. We don't call her by her given name and some times I forget what her full name is. When filling out paperwork I had to ask Nature Girl what EG's middle name was. I just blanked. Anyway, we get back to the examine room and the nurse says something like "I am always amazed by you." When people are complimentary I always feel like such a fake and I never know what to say. I just said with a smile "Don't be." It is painful sometimes to ensure that my kids behave. What I really want to say is "It takes a lot of hard work and tears and time to encourage the kids to behave." Finally, the doctor came in and took like 5 minutes to check her over and say everything was A-OK. (Which I already knew :) Anyway, he also mentioned how well behaved the kids were but he said "At least in here." Like he knew it isn't always like this. Anyway, all that to say is I was really, really proud of how the kids behaved. It is so much to ask of them to sit in a grown up's waiting room for a long period of time and then have to sit in a small examine room just waiting. They just grab a magazine and do their best to entertain themselves. They got a surprise cookie afterwards.

Also, last night we had a change in our nighttime routine! A big deal around here. It used to be the girls would shower in our bath and Boop would take a bath in the guest bath while EG would roll around (or whatever) waiting for her turn. By the time bath/showers were done, teeth brushed and a book read it could be close to 9 o'clock. Way late for an infant to be up. But I just couldn't figure a better way. It takes me up to an hour and a half to get everyone settled in and even then the girls can be up for another 1/2 hour or so doing whatever in their beds. Anyway, after the big kids are in bed I would then bathe EG in her little tub in the kitchen sink and nurse her (best part of the day) and put her in bed. Some nights it could be as late as 9:30. So, now that she is sitting up better I decided she was going to take a bath with Boop. I filled up the tub, put the Bumpo seat in and the rest is history. Granted everyone still wasn't in bed until 9 but EVERYONE was in bed. It gave me just a little bit more down time at the end of the day . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

What a sweet picture of your boy and baby :)

Diane Moody said...

Just wanna pinch those sweet little cheeks! (The facial ones, of course!) SO adorable! Congrats on the bedtime routine break-through. I'll bet Boop is proud to have his baby sis in the tub with him (at least for now!) LOL