Friday, July 17, 2009

One of The Things We Do

One of the things we do as a family is watching our friend's children for the day. Usually on days when there is a school holiday or planning day. It just kind of happened. Once I became a stay at home mom, friends would just ask. They would always say "Are you sure??" I always said "yes." I would try to make them understand that it really is a benefit for me! Some one new for my kids to ride bikes with, play dolls with, swim with, play games with. And it has always been a mix of boys and girls.

It is always amazing to me, I get more done when I have extra kids here. My kids are entertained for the whole day. Less running in and out, less questions about what we are doing for the day, less questions about "Can we do this?" They just play. All the old games and toys are new when they have some one else to share them with.

It seemed, for awhile, we were always watching some one else child. At one point I thought about a daycare kind of thing. But, even though I like watching other children occasionally, I decided it wasn't something I needed or wanted to do full time. All of the kids we have ever watched have been family friends. So, the kids are always very familiar with our house and with us. That of course makes it easier and so much nicer. They are extensions of our family to begin with.

I don't think I have ever said "no" when someone has asked. The funny thing is in the last year no one has asked. Which honestly is good because I might have said "no." Not because I wouldn't have wanted to but because physically and emotionally I wasn't ready. But because we are in a routine and I am actually getting some sleep at night when a friend asked me this week if I was interested in watching her daughter for the day I emphatically said "YES!"

So, all that to say is we have a house guest today. A girl I have watched since she was 2 1/2. The kids were so excited they were up bright and early and dressed before their friend even got here. I am looking forward to a day of full time entertainment from our guest . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I agree with you -- I generally get a little more done when a playdate is in progress and it's a very nice distraction from the day to day routine.
Hope your day is fun!