Monday, July 13, 2009

Sleeping Arrangements

We (meaning me and EG) had one of the worst nights sleep we have had in awhile. I am not complaining but I will say my body has gotten use to sleep. Anyway, it got me thinking as I traveled from one sleeping place to the next - at any given moment no one is really in a bed they are suppose to be sleeping in.

I have always been a big believer in everyone needs to learn at an early age where they sleep and when. Babies weren't suppose to sleep with us. And I have never laid down with a child to get them to sleep (unless we were traveling or they were sick.) Now, we do just about anything to get sleep. With Boop, I slept occasionally in a twin bed with him. With EG, I did it pretty frequently. Especially when she was in that stage of waking up at 5AM and not really going back to sleep unless she was in my bed. I am such a light sleeper that I never ever worried about hurting either of them. Most times I would just lie there thankful they were asleep. :)

On any given night I can be in Boop's room with EG. In the girls' room with all three kids. On the couch or possibly even in my bed. Boop is in the girls' room. When he was sick he was in bed with daddy. Daddy sometimes (very rarely these days) sleeps on the couch but usually in his bed. Mickey is on the couch sometimes but usually in his room. The girls have been consistent in that I don't think in the last 8 months they have slept anywhere but in their beds.

When I put the big kids down at night, I try to tell them where I think I will be in the middle of the night in case they need me. "If I am not on the couch, check in my room. If I am not in my room, check in Boop's." At about 3 this morning, I kind of hoped we never had a late night emergency. I don't know if we would know where every one is . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

You do what you gotta do, right?
I also never wanted the kids in bed with us, so I arranged it that I would go to them whenever they called me, no matter how many times that might be. I also have been known to sit by their bedsides until they feel comfortable that I leave.
The first year or so can be rough on me, but as they've gotten older, I don't have very many problems at night.
Do you check on them in the middle of the night? Whenever I'm up with one of them, I always go around and check on all the others.

Ann said...

Always check. Right before I go to bed and then if I am up. So glad again that you got a nights rest!!