Saturday, July 11, 2009

Interesting Question

DISCLAIMER: This post is totally full of my opinions and an exercise in thought.

So my sister and I were talking the other day. The conversation revolved around this topic or question or thought: On earth what benefit is there to believing in God? Wow. The question kind of threw me for a loop. So I started to think. It isn't one of those things that I could just vocalize an answer to especially if I was not able to put any thought to it. Or maybe I could - maybe it is really very simple. I was just making it hard. My first response was if I believe in God and that He sent His Son to die for my transgressions then the answer is Heaven. But that is not a "benefit" on earth per se. So my next answer was hope. I have hope that when this life is done I get to go to Heaven because of Jesus. When I die it isn't the end of life it is really the beginning of something wonderful.

Belief in God and the Savior isn't a guarantee of a perfect life here on earth. It isn't even a guarantee of a happy life. I am not a theologian but I do believe that being a follower of Christ means sacrifice. We as followers are called to be disciples. Look at some of the martyrs and saints from the 1st century. They professed Christ and discipled others unto their death. They sacrificed their very lives to show people that Jesus is the only way. Belief in God and a Savior gives me hope in this world. Hope that no matter what I am going through their is a Heavenly Father that loves me so much He sent His Son so that I, a sinner, may have eternal life.

Please don't misunderstand me. Do I run through life with a permanent grin on my face no matter what my troubles? No. Am I happy, well adjusted and thankful for my Savior every minute of everyday? No. Am I constantly seeking God's will for my life? No. Do I question "Why me?" Yes. Do I theoretically know that God loves me and knows what is best for me? Yes. In my mind I know the answer to the question. The heart of course is another matter entirely ;)

One problem I see is that I can be a consumer of religion, of God. What is in it for me? What benefit is it for me to seek God? But being a follower of Christ isn't set up that way. I should be asking myself every minute of every day, how can I serve others? Jesus was the ultimate servant unto His death. And I am to follow Christ and His ways. I am to be a servant ALWAYS. It isn't about me. EVER. So totally not what is in my heart. But, my heart from the very beginning has been full of sin. If every believer (my self included) was to ALWAYS serve EVERYONE never a selfish motive life would be more fulfilling here on earth (I think.)

People change jobs, houses, spouses, cities, churches, religions, and haircuts. Fix bodies, drive expensive cars, take fancy vacations, get married, exercise all in the pursuit of happiness. If I change my selfish heart to focus on some one other than myself I might be a little happier here on earth (I think). These are my thoughts. As I have had a day or two to ponder the original question. I have hope here on earth of a life ever lasting in Heaven. Works for me . . .

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great post and I think your answer was great...I am able to verbalize it much better when I use an example..it all boils down to hope and love though. Like when my grandmother and uncle were killed in a car accident by someone driving reckless..I (a believer) was able to forgive and do not have hate in my heart but my cousins (non believers) still deal with hate and disgust and unforgiveness to this day because they do not understand the love and grace of Christ. Marriage is also a wonderful example of the benefits of being a believer. Just some thoughts. Good job!

Ann said...

As a believer I feel the only thing I am guaranteed is the unconditional love of God and a place in Heaven. All of the rest depends on me and my relationship with Christ. There are many believers who can not forgive and who hate. There are also many Christian marriages that are not wonderful examples. And many nonChristian marriages that are happy. So, I don't think you can say a wonderful marriage is a benefit for believing in God. It is a benefit of following Christ, sacrificing for the love of someone else. My humble opinion of course and LOVE to discuss such things :) Thanks for making me think just a little bit more. Don't have anything else to do with no car. Even had to do housework - yuck!!

Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn said...

I agree that christian marriages and other stuff are not in the least bit perfect...what I meant I guess is that because I have a relationship with God I CAN (if I allow it) have hope and love for others and hope in marriage and other stuff. I could not go through life if I didn't know and understand to some extent the love that Christ has for me and the plans of his are far greater. I wouldn't understand why others hurt me or why things happen but B/c I have him in my heart, eventually I CAN/DO/WILL have hope and be able to do things that only God can get me to do such as forgive. Now I agree that this is not a blanket statment...like because we are christians then we can all forgive. My main thing was that when an unbeliever asks me what the point is or what the benefit is...all I have is my own testimony to tell them about...I can tell them how God has loved me personally. So we are in agreeance I believe that our relationship with HIM is very important...Now I don't even remember what the original question was...:) I guess I was just saying that a marriage that lasts/succeeds CAN be a benefit not always a guarantee though. Maybe I am not on the same page with you and Molly's question...

Ann said...

I think Molly and my discussion was along the lines of JUST BECAUSE you believe what are the benefits. Like if you believe in Me X,Y and Z are a given. And except for hope and God's unconditional love (which is a lot!) the rest takes work and wllingness on our parts and the end results are not guaranteed. Anyway, thank you for the very lively and fun discussion! :) Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!!