Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Food, Food, Food

So here you go MB. :) The following is going to be what we might eat on a typical day. As I tell the kids on a very regular basis "This ain't Denny's." They like to tell me what they want for breakfast and lunch. But, it is impossible to please everyone every day and I am not going get into the habit of making three different breakfasts and lunches so that everyone is happy. We do "rotate" meals so that everyone gets their favorite every once and awhile.

Breakfast: pancakes (frozen) or cereal or peanut butter toast or yogurt or on special occasions cinnamon rolls or occasionally bagels or English muffins. Always served with a banana, vitamin, OJ or milk.

Lunch: PBJ or leftovers or bean burritos or Ravioli or deli meat sandwich (couple of them like liverwurst) or yogurt or black eyed peas. I always try to serve a veggie and fruit. Milk.

Dinner: This is where things get sticky. I don't like to cook. Daddy does. But, I don't think it is right after he has worked 13 hours to have him come home and make dinner. So, I try on the days he works to make something. It usually isn't very fancy, probably not very tasty and more times than not if I am in the middle of "cooking" dinner daddy will come in and take over. I asked him if he is OK with that and he is. Right now the big joke at the dinner table is that he always has improvements on whatever we are eating. (Both when he cooks and when I cook.) I never noticed it before and Mickey brought it up like the second or third time he ate with us. Now it is a joke. Mic will say something like "So whatup with this one?" OK back to dinner. Here is a list of things we eat on a pretty regular basis: Homemade pizza, meatloaf, pea/chix/cheese/pasta salad, chix tortellini salad (hopefully tonight), baked chix, grilled hamburgers, fresh grouper/red snapper, homemade chix pot pie, enchiladas, spaghetti, lasagna, eggs and bacon, homemade whole wheat pancakes, chicken chili, an occasional roast, oven fried pork chops. We just spent a fist full of money on fresh veggies from a local farm. Breaded okra, butter beans, green beans (oh, and blueberries.)

About once a month I let the kids pick a recipe out of the Paula Dean for Kids cookbook. And they take turns helping me cook. As far as food is concerned, I am all about keeping it simple . . .

5 comments:

Unknown said...

HEY GIRL,
DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DO IT ALL!
YOU CAN'T BE PERFECT IN YOUR EYES, ALL OF THE TIME. CHILL OUT ONCE IN AWHILE AND DON'T KEEP TAKING ON MORE. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, AS I KNOW SO ARE YOUR PARENTS, CHARLES, MOLLY, OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS. YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY (DON'T NEED MORE---STRESS; WON'T ASK ABOUT THE B.C.) I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOU DECIDED TO BE A STAY AT HOME MOM, WIFE, TEACHER AND BELIEVER IN GOD. PLEASE DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP EVERY DAY ANN. YOUR PRIORITIES ARE CERTAINLY IN LINE; GOD AND YOUR FAMILY. DON'T TRY TO PLEASE ANYBODY ELSE. MY MENU COMMENTS I HOPE DIDN'T INSPIRE YOU TO JUSTIFY THIS BLOG.
I KNOW I NEED TO GET A LIFE DEAR.
I JUST WISH WE LIVED CLOSER.
TAKE CARE, DON'T FRET, AND GOD BLESS!

Ann said...

My blog is one of my joys in life ;). I look forward to writing it everyday. Just had a writer's block thing going on. So I am just going to keep it simple for awhile. Unless of course I feel the urge to rant - ha, ha!! It is also a great release for me to sort out all my crazy ideas ;) Anyway, I have enjoyed your menu comments!! They have made me smile. Honestly things here are really pretty good. Overwhelmed everyday but "It is what it is" and I am good with that :) Hope you all are well!!! I love that you read it!

Katie said...

I love to cook and it's still difficult for me to feed everyone three meals a day. I wish I were more organized, that would make things a lot easier.

I also say, This isn't a restaurant!

Mary Beth said...

Thanks, girl! You will be so embarrassed for me when I post T's typical diet on my Blog...esp. compared to yours! wow!!

Ann said...

MB - funny I was embarrased to post mine because you are such an awesome chef!!!!!