Thursday, July 23, 2009

Computer Problems

Somehow we have picked up a hitchhiker, worm, trojan. I have no idea what they call it, some type of virus. A couple of weeks ago I noticed our brand new computer running a lot slower. Then when we used search engines the first search would connect us to options we were looking for. Subsequent searches would send us to all kind of strange sites. Thankfully nothing objectionable. Lastly, and most offensive, were the ads for objectionable products using words I don't need my 8 and 6 year olds reading. (I assume the later is also a part of our computer problems. If not, I will be lodging my complaint somewhere you can be sure :)

Anyway, hubby took the laptop to a computer friend of his. And our computer was diagnosed with some kind of really embedded "thing." And it is really hard to get rid of. This guy has tried three different fixes and the computer still isn't working right. That means it has to go back tomorrow. Bummer. Two days without a computer. BUT the upside has been I haven't "wasted" a lot of time today. It's not like the house is miraculously clean or anything but I did notice I do spend a lot of unnecessary time on the computer.

If I walk by it, I check my email. I try to get my blog done before just about anything else. If I know I should be doing something else (like folding clothes) I tell myself "After I check Facebook." Then I kind of get sucked in. Sometimes 20 minutes later I am still sitting there. No, it doesn't seem like I have been any more productive today. At least not in a real big way. But I have no doubt that the time I haven't been on the computer I have been doing something a little more beneficial to the family as a whole :)

So, I think I am going to put some restrictions on my computer use. Nothing crazy. I think it is Flylady who suggests like 10 minutes a couple of times a day. If, by the end of the day my blog isn't done I will finish it. Some of the stuff I do is for school, but a lot is purely entertainment just so I don't have to fold the clothes right away. I survived today not being instantly connected to the world. I am sure the world will get along just fine without me checking in 50 million times a day . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

I get all sweaty and nervous when my computer acts up.
What if I can't check my
E-MAIL?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ann said...

Granted I am on a homeschool loop but last night I had 70 messages. All except 2 I deleted without reading.