Friday, January 22, 2010

Chores

Not the kids. Mine. The kids, oddly enough, have a system right now that works pretty well. Every Sunday I print them off a chore chart for the week. Monday through Saturday it is basically the same things. I have it broken done into different parts of the day: stuff to do before school, stuff to do before lunch, stuff to do before we go anywhere or daddy gets home and stuff to do before bed. When they have completed the task for that day they check it off (LM or NG help Boop). I ask them for it periodically to make sure they are really doing what they say they are doing ;)

Each day they have a chore assigned to them. Anything from Boop taking out the garbage to NG vacuuming to LM cleaning windows. Depends on the day and my mood. We have been doing it since school started in the fall. It needs to be tweaked occasionally but it helps to keep the house in some type of order.

Now for me!! I do Flylady and get her email everyday. I don't do any of it. But, it does draw attention to the things I ought to be doing. A friend of mine has a list of chores for the week and sets a timer for 30 minutes and does her chores for that long. I liked that idea. I am a list person and love checking things off. I thought about it a little longer. As things are going right now, I just didn't see where I could get 30 minutes to set a timer and clean. I will admit I am not very organized and spend a lot of time "putting out fires." And, I can get sidetracked and waste precious time. Where oh where in my day could I set a timer for 30 minutes and just do chores? I needed to tweak that really good plan for my life.

So, I came up with 15 minutes. Surely I can get 15 minutes to do a chore. Start small, get a little organized, work my way up to 30 minutes. I just looked at my computer clock and it is 4:50PM. I literally JUST sat down for the first time today to start my post. I have been running all day. Yes, my chore is done but I still have to make dinner and fold one more load of laundry. I have not checked my email, Facebook or blogs all day! It feels good to accomplish something that NEEDED to be done. But, I don't know if I can keep up this pace every day. I am old and tired. I might need a new plan . . .

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Seriously, somedays when I have a really GOOD day and I feel like I have accomplished a lot...I sit back and realize that I am exhausted and not sure if I can do it again the next day! It is really HARD to be good at getting good things accomplished all day long!!! It absolutely is a miracle! I am realizing it more and more! I exercised today but I haven't read my BIBLE..just a little confession..I did pray while doing my 3 miles on this beautiful day...it really is hard! And you have more kids at home all day with you...and I don't.

Mary Beth said...

Oh ANn - have you checked out the website 12 Minutes to Get Organized? You can sign up very quickly and for free and they will email you a task - a 12 minute one - very day. I love it!! Some of them, the kids would enjoy helping with too!!

Ann said...

I definitely think part of my "problem" is all the kids home all day. Hard to mop floors etc. Not what I want to do during quiet time - ha, ha!! And keeping things neat is hard because they just keep un-neating them ;) I did clean the guest sink and potty while the little guys were bathing. I just need to really, really make the effort and not get discouraged when things just don't work out like I want them to :)

MB - I will check it out! Thanks!