Saturday, January 2, 2010

Oh, To Be Needed

Yesterday I had a plan. I always have a plan. Yesterday's plan was to do NOTHING! Yesterday I turned 42. Old. So NOTHING (except watch football) is what I wanted to do.

After sitting on the couch for a few minutes watching football, I started to feel a little strange. I am not used to doing NOTHING. A few minutes after that Little Mama needed tape. It wasn't in the tape drawer. Where was the extra tape? As I got up from the couch daddy said "Sit down. I'll get it." Ahhh how sweet :) Then I said "Do you know where it it?" "No" came daddy's reply. "It's OK, I know where it is. I'll get it." I think I needed a reason to get up and DO something ;)

A little later I decided it was time for a shower. As I got in to take a quick shower it dawned on me "It is my birthday. I am going to take a nice, long, hot shower." Not two minutes into my nice, long, hot shower, EG came in followed by Little Mama. EG fell over the stepping stool and started to cry. Little Mama tried to help her.

My first thought was "Geez, I just wanted to take a nice, long, hot shower. On my birthday." Then this grin came over me. I AM NEEDED. ALL THE TIME. THEY NEED ME. At that very moment, for some strange reason that thought was sooo cool to me. I kind of giggled and hurried up with my shower.

Don't get me wrong, they can survive with out me and there are a lot of days when I sometimes think "If I hear, 'Mommy' one more time . . . " But, it dawned on me, I am kind of the glue of this family unit. The cohesiveness. The one constant thing, all day, every day. I am it. 24/7.

This is my job. This is who I am. This is right where God wants me. Right now. It is kind of cool to be needed . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

You're so right. It IS nice to be needed (even if it's constant).
Hope you had a very nice birthday.

Diane Moody said...

You blow me away. Annie, YOU need to be the one writing a book! You have the BEST perspective on motherhood of anyone I've ever known. You are such an inspiration!! Love you!