Monday, January 4, 2010

It Is What It Is

Yesterday, like most Sundays, I have the distinct pleasure (sarcastic button) of getting four children plus myself ready for church by 9:15. It has taken me a number of years but if I do say so myself we do pretty well, for the most part. I have a plan and we do a little prep work the night before. But the day of, it is always a little chaotic.

We arrived at church yesterday a few minutes late (we are working on that also ;) Anyway, as I was dropping Boop off in his Sunday School classroom, the teacher (a mother of a large family) commented on how nicely he was dressed. Of course I said thank you and just mentioned that his black shoes, which matched his black pants, were two sizes too big in hopes they would fit next year. She nodded and said she had been there. Then I went on to draw attention to the fact that his socks were navy and not black. I explained I just couldn't find the black ones. Her response to me was "Some times you just have to let those things go. My son doesn't even have matching socks on this morning."

It was nice to hear that from someone who has so much experience in raising a Godly family!
I know it is important to look nice. If for no other reason it shows respect for your host or, in this case, respect for God. My children are always clean (well except for the toothpaste I saw on Boop's chin as I dropped him off) and their clothes are clean. Not always matching, but clean ;)

Sometimes it comes down to the choice of going how we are or getting nervous and upset about the way the kids are dressed or whatever. And I honestly don't think I am suppose to flip out over such things. If anything, maybe I just need to be a little more prepared. It is a work in progress. I have never had 4 kids before :)

Anyway, I feel, no matter how they look what is really important is what is in their heart. That is a work in progress too . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

Sometimes the success is just getting out the door!

Ann said...

Amen!