Saturday, January 16, 2010

Transportation

We are now in the hunt for a new mode of transportation. Over the Thanksgiving holiday it become somewhat apparent to us that we need a little bit more room in our car. We had to have my BIL take some of our stuff when we traveled. We just didn't have room. Now part of the problem was, I had to pack the car myself and was not able to put stuff on top of the car. We don't travel much, just to Grandma's a few times a year but I would like to be able to go by myself and right now with all the baby stuff we need and 2 boosters seats and 2 carseats etc. we just don't have room in our 10 year old van. Not to mention we can't have a friend come with us anywhere unless they don't need a booster or carseat.

The van is also starting to nickel and dime daddy. Little things are going wrong. Some worth fixing, like brakes ;) And some, like the keys not starting the car sometimes, have to be worked around.

Our first thought was a great big, beautiful Yukon. It has room for a passenger or two more. And honestly I liked the thought of driving one of them. So trendy. So grownup. (Plus, it could tow a bigger camper ;) So we started to check them out. But, after closer inspection, there really wasn't anymore room for stuff. So we started looking at an XL and then a Suburban. The prices for used ones is outrageous and really not all that much more space. Then daddy checked out their ratings in Consumer Reports and they did not rate well at all.

But, he did see that the Honda Odyssey rated really well. So, now we are in the process of looking for a Honda Odyssey minivan. (Although I don't see how they have much extra room.) This afternoon we will start our hunt. I don't know how medium size families do it. If you are a medium size family, please let me know what you do ;) In the meantime, I know daddy well enough to know, unless we find a big time bargain, it could be awhile . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Todd keeps threatening to get me a Honda Odyssey....I'll believe it when I see it :)
I think it has room for 8 (our current minivan has room for 7), but I doubt it has much more room for all the extra stuff!
Good luck!