Friday, January 8, 2010

What to Do, What to Do, Part Two

During the week Little Mama and I had talked about the commitment to being on a gymnastics' team. A friend of mine told me gymnastics "is your life" when competing. So, Little Mama and I talked about what all that meant for our life as a family. We talked about how our priorities had to be God and family. And that because of the time commitment to training and traveling and the activities of the other kids, there would not be a whole lot of time left for other interests. Or going as often to Grandma's or Wild Adventures.

But, I also wanted her to know that we supported the opportunity for her to at least check it out. To see how it goes. To see if it was doable. To give the whole thing a trial run. To see if she even liked it.

Well, last night at dinner, LM informed us she did not want to compete. She wanted to be in the class that they originally promoted her to. She just wanted to go to tumbling for fun right now. And be able to go to Grandma's and Wild Adventures. I know Little Mama's heart. She wanted everyone to be happy.

We talked a little bit more about it and I made sure that it was her decision not pursue competing. And she seemed OK with it all. I told her what an honor it was to even be chosen. I also assured her that maybe in a year or two, if she was still interested we could look into it again.

Sure, part of me wanted her to compete. I think more for me than for her. But, I can honestly say that when she made her decision, I was relived. One less thing to worry about . . .

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

Just now catching up on your whole week. WOW. Big decisions!! Gotta say, I was relieved too (for you) when I read LM opted not to compete right now. Like you said, that can always happen later. I just think it's soooo important for kids to be KIDS and have time to ENJOY life. I'll be praying for LM and for NG's ballet situation! Keep us posted!

You're doing such a great job, Annie. I love following all you guys do!

And the reading lists! HEAVEN!! Wish I could join in too!

Love to all!