Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What to Do, What to Do?

Yes, I am a proud mama. I think that both Nature Girl and Little Mama have different gifts and strengths. NG is so graceful. Little Mama is very flexible. Both girls opted out of ballet this year and I was OK with that. They didn't enjoy it as much as tumbling and honestly the real reason they had to choose was that every afternoon I didn't want to drive around town bringing them to various after school activities.

That worked for a semester. But, then we went to the Nutcracker and both girls really enjoyed it. It started me thinking about Nature Girl's gracefulness. I thought it needed to be explored. So, I contacted the ballet company about auditions. They recommended a class for girls interested in auditioning. I signed NG up (against her will I might add.) The thought process was, we'll give it a try, a real try. If she doesn't like it, if I don't like it, if she doesn't cut it, then we let it go by the wayside. But, I felt, feel, it is important to at least explore the avenue.

A little while after that (or maybe even before that) Little Mama's tumbling coach approached me about her potential for the competitive gymnastics team. Wow, so very cool!! It seems LM is a little bit of a natural gymnast. Weeks went by and no one from the gym mentioned any more about it. So, I made plans accordingly. Signed both girls up for tumbling (horrible times I might add) and signed NG up for ballet class. It was going to be a busy semester but we would get through it. I figured by the end of this up coming semester we would know if NG had what it takes to be in the Nutcracker.

Yesterday I get a call from the gym. LM has been offered a spot on their Level 2 competitive team. Yea!!! Sooo exciting!! This is the deal: she will train the spring and summer and compete in the fall, she will be at the gym Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-6:30, no breaks like they do for the recreational side of tumbling, in the fall she will compete approximately every other weekend mostly in the area although she said there might be overnight trips and some Sundays. Of course, being a mama, I am thrilled for LM. Nobody deserve recognition more for a great "can do" attitude and willingness to try.

Now, what to do, what to do? As it stand right now we will be at the gym Monday through Thursday and NG will have ballet on Thurs. Absolutely, totally not what I wanted to get into. (We will be able to eat dinner together every night.) But what is a mother to do? I think both girls should have an opportunity to explore their gifts. But, I don't want those things to be a priority over family.

Daddy and I chatted about it last night. He says whatever I want to do is fine with him. He will help when he can but I know that isn't something I can count on because things come up. I will pray about it and in the meantime we will do what we have to do for now. I will cross the bridges of gymnastic competitions and the performance of The Nutcracker when (and if) I have to.

Right now, I think, I want to give the girls' their shot. We will see how it works out. If it gets to be too much we will reassess over the summer (or before if we need to :). But, for now, I am excited about the girls opportunities to grow . . .

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Have you read the "no greater Joy" books by the Pearls? Harriet and I talked some about this exact thing over the weekend...and she is reading those books and I just ordered them...they talk about such in some of the books I think. I think it is a very hard decision, one I am not sure I would want to have to make. There are pros and cons to it all.

Kathryn said...

BUT!!! Congrats to LM!

Ann said...

Ooooo! I love the Pearls! Are the books you ordered the compilation of their articles? I have a bimonthly subscription to their "magazine." And a couple of their books. There is no easy answer for me on this one. I don't think I would even consider any of it if we didn't homeschool. I think it is at least worth exploring. I tell the kids nothing is set in stone ;) And we have talked about what are priorities are as a family. We shall see :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

Kathryn said...

I agree, that because you homeschool, then it might be an option. I could NOT do it with Emily being in school. I don't see how people do that much extra-curricular stuff when their kids are in school...if it interferes with dinners, makes you tense, wastes money, makes your marriage tense, you know...all those things that are suppose to be a priority then I would say don't do it. I can't remember if it is the Pearls or Shepherding a Child's heart guy that says be very careful of stuff like that...it is so dang hard though cuz you are so proud of your kid. I wouldn't let it interfere with church....bc that says to the kids that it is more important...can't remember where I read that. But then what about helping them put their energy into something good...I am so thankful for Band..it kept me out of trouble, I had a Christian band director, that is where all my Christian friends came from and where I met my Christian husband! I guess just remember, the gym and coaches don't care about your family nor your children's values or beliefs...you have to be the biggest advocate for those things! And all that to say, I don't know what I would do in your shoes :)

Katie said...

Hard decision.
I tend to err on the side of too little extra-curricular stuff.
But I do agree with you, this is an opportunity for your girls. Also, I think it might be more do-able because you do homeschool.
Whatever you decide, good luck :)