Friday, March 6, 2009

The Age of Technology

I have gone kicking and screaming into the technological age. And now that I am here I am addicted!! It started out about three years ago with email. We didn't have a good computer then. We had a 10 year old computer with dial up. There were easier ways to communicate!! But when we got a newer computer and faster Internet that became my way of communicating to just about everyone. I am not a phone person. Truth be told, I hate talking on the phone. I don't answer the phone during school and I don't answer after 8PM. Also, I am a "to the point" kind of person so email works better for me. Not to mention, with a house full of kids it is almost impossible to carry on a conversation that lasts more than 2 minutes. I have tried to teach them some manners and that if I am on the phone they need to wait to talk to me until I am through. Or, if it is something important, to at least say "Excuse me." But, just like my phone call yesterday with a long distance friend I had to call her back because someone came in the house screaming and crying because they hurt their foot. So, when I have something to communicate to someone, it is usually by email. But, now that is even old school for me. My 20 something sister has introduced me to texting and Facebook. Now, there's an addiction. My original excuse for buying into these trends was it kept me in touch with my sister. But, truth be told, now, I love both of those things!! Because I am a person of few words texting is perfect. It is straight and to the point. I can receive messages and send messages and take hardly anytime doing it. Things get done. Questions get answered. Thoughts are conveyed. All in less than a minute. My kind of communication. The Facebook thing is great because you can keep up with people even if you don't have time to see them or even talk with them. You know what is going on in all of your friends' lives. And for me (because I really don't get out much socially these days) it is a perfect avenue to keep in touch. I knew the wife of our youth pastor had her baby girl and she was under the billie lights. Not because I could go see her but because her husband posted it on Facebook. Because I had posted that Nature Girl was sick yesterday a friend from tumbling knew we wouldn't be there. Then there is the blogging thing. I do it because it is therapeutic and it is a way to keep memories but it has now also become a way for me to keep in touch. Nowadays family and friends are scattered all over the United States. And blogging is a huge way for me to keep them updated on what is going on in our family!! And the beauty of it is, is that they only have to read it if they want to. I suppose in some respects it is a colossal waste of time and it hurts the ability to communicate in person. But for me and given the fact that I wouldn't communicate in person anyway, all of it is just more ways to stay in touch with loved ones. Ultimately it brings us all closer together . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

Thank goodness for technology! I think our friendship wouldn't be nearly so close without e-mail, etc., and THAT would be a tragedy.

Ann said...

I totally agree!! So glad we have grown closer over the last 20 something years!! My life is blessed to have you in it!!

Unknown said...

I can't tell you how much I look forward to reading your blog every single day! I feel so connected to you and your family, even tho we are 1300 miles apart. I just wish I lived closer so that I could help you out and give your precious kiddos hugs and kisses every day; you too! You truly are, Ann, the child I wish I had conceived and born. You know your Mom is still questioning how we could look and act so much alike.0
Poor Ann!!!