Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Modesty

Yesterday I spent a little time shopping trying to find the girls bathing suits. One of the biggest challenges I can see for the future will be trying to teach three girls the idea of biblical modesty. In this culture, we are constantly berated with the exact opposite whether it be the magazines we receive in the mail or the commercials that pop up even on the Family Channel. I was shocked yesterday at what retailers consider swimsuits for young girls. Some of the Vs were half way down to their navels. As I tried to explain to Nature Girl she is only 7 and I would like for her to look like a young lady. As long as I am buying the swimsuits, I will buy tankinis or one piece suits. There is plenty of time for other alternatives when they get to make their own decisions. As my 24 year old sister has said (in a nutshell) immodesty is everywhere in her generation. That I guess you really don't even notice how little the girls wear these days. We are slowly being desensitized. I know my girls will have to make their own decisions when they are older. So, in the meantime I am going to do my best to instill some modesty. For school awhile back, we had received a free lapbook that was a whole biblical study of modesty. I guess we will be getting that out! The swimsuits we ended up picking out yesterday (after trying about a dozen on) were so adorable. Hopefully we are on the right track . . .

2 comments:

Diane Moody said...

Good for you, Annie! How sad that modesty has disappeared from our culture. I applaud you for your efforts to protect your children from the infiltration of indecency that is all around us. As you said, they can make their own decisions when they're old enough. In the meantime, BASK in their innocence and let them enjoy being KIDS! Way to go, Mom!

Katie said...

Although I love shopping for girls clothes, outfitting my three boys is MUCH easier. It takes me forever to shop for Leah, most of the stuff I don't even consider, not because it's cut inappropriately, but because of the ridiculous sayings on the t-shirts and pajamas.
I don't envy you keeping it on track for THREE GIRLS. But I know you'll do great :)