Friday, March 20, 2009

Babies, babies, babies

As I type right now a very good friend of mine, Kathryn, is having baby number three. It is a little girl and we are soooo excited because we are sure she will be good friends with EG. My friend had to have a scheduled C-section so was rightfully apprehensive. But she had such a good attitude. She knew to go to the Bible and write down a bunch of Scripture that God gives us to deal with fear and worry. And I think the plan was to continue to quote it when things got a little overwhelming. She has a wonderful supportive husband who will be there for her through it all! I am actually excited about seeing this baby. Normally I don't get excited about other women's babies. I have always been that way. I remember when we were trying to get pregnant and my sister-in-law had her second child. We went to visit her in the hospital and she asked if I wanted to hold her. I said "No thank you." I really didn't have a desire to hold a baby. I also never knew that other women wanted to hold my babies. So, therefor I never asked "Do you want to hold her/him?" Because I didn't ever want to I just assumed nobody did either. I have since learned differently. Lots of women like to hold little bitty babies. And now, I think, I have developed that desire as well. I have spent a little time over the course of the last few days wondering why the difference in me. Why might I want to hold my friend's baby? (She has held mine numerous times. In fact every time we are together I hand over EG and she gladly accepts.) I have come up with a couple of conclusions. First, I am much more comfortable with babies. I have learned they are not breakable. It is OK if they cry and I think I have developed skills to comfort babies. Second, I have finally realized how quickly they grow. One minute they are newborns and next they are rolling over, smiling, cooing infants. The main reason, lastly, is that I think my baby days are over. I doubt (topic for another post very soon) that I will have any more babies. That brings out a desire in me to marvel at these beautifully wonderfully made creations that God has given us. Can't you tell I have been up many times last night. I have had too much time to ponder in the middle of the night. Rest assured Kathryn, I have been praying for you as well. I can't wait to meet and hold baby girl . . .

No comments: