Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Irish Heritage

My hubby is 100% Irish. I always thought that was soooo cool. I know I don't have all the facts straight about how his mom and dad got here. But I do know his mom went back for a little while when she was a child. I think they have ties to Galway and Roscommon. But I won't swear to that. Regardless they are all Irish!! Did I mention that I think that is soooo cool!! I don't know why it is neat to me. Ever since I was a kid I have been fascinated with Ireland. It is one of the places I want to go. The Today Show is in Ireland this morning. The landscape is absolutely beautiful. Lush green land with majestic mountains. They have a waterfall there that is higher than Niagara Falls. They have fallen on hard times just as the US has. But they people they interviewed seemed hopeful. Maybe it is the luck of the Irish thing. They also have a female president which I was a little surprised about. They interviewed her this morning as well. She seemed like a tell it like it is, tough little cookie. Anyway, I make it a point to tell the kids they are half Irish. (For the record they are 1/4 German and 1/4 English, Welsh and a few other things.) Someday, for a school project when the kids get a little older I would like to "interview" all of the grandparents and parents and get their stories. It is important to know where your going but I think it is equally important to know where you came from . . . .Happy St. Patrick's Day . . .

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Great post, Ann! And I have to recommend www.storycorps.com for putting together a great oral history of grandparents, parents, etc. I generated some questions from that site for my Grandmother a few years ago and in four segments, I got her whole life on tape, in her own words and voice. One day, I will transcribe it for the whole family. Priceless! I think your kids would really enjoy a project like that....love to you all!