Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Book Review - Same Kind of Different As Me

I don't really even know how to begin "reviewing" this book. God has placed so many great books in my way these last few months and this is definitely one of them! In my humble opinion, it is a book that should be read and discussed in every Sunday School class, in every Christian church, all over!

It is about a homeless black man who was a modern day slave, a million dollar art dealer and the woman who brought them together. (Pretty sure that is what it says on the front of the book.) Anyway, at first I didn't realize the book was a true story. But, once I found out it was, I was moved beyond words.

I am just going to give a general overview because it is so worth reading for yourselves. The art dealer is motivated by his wife to start volunteering at a homeless shelter with her. She truly was moved by God to serve. And really, really loved and had a heart for those she served. Hubby did it just for her. He felt he was a better person because of his willingness to serve.

The main homeless man, Denver, didn't want to befriend anyone. And certainly not rich white folks who felt they were doing their good dead by serving a meal to the homeless once a week. But, Denver began to see that Ms. Debbie was different. She did not feel superior and wasn't volunteering as a feel good mission for herself. She really cared. About him.

The husband, Ron, befriended Denver on his wife's insistence. She truly believed God wanted the two men together. The book is full of short chapters, switching back and forth from Mr. Ron's and Denver's perspectives of the events that happened in each of their lives and also to the extraordinary woman, who brought them together.

The most poignant part in the book, for me, was when Denver was in need of a meal or a place to sleep. Whatever he needed he got from an organization that helped the homeless. Yet, right next door was a church. A place where not one person offered to help him. Or even acknowledge him. And he took notice of that fact.

How many times, as servants of God, do we not do something because it takes us out of our comfort zone or because of our personal convictions? I think of all the times that Jesus helped people. I am not a biblical scholar so I don't know all of Jesus' acts of service. But, from some of the stories I do know, He was always helping those who had no other hope. The people that the rest of society had written off. Beggars and lepers.

I know I haven't done the book justice. All I can say is that it has forever impacted my out look on life. How I perceive others. How I perceive myself. How I would like my children to think and act as they get older.

Check it out on Amazon or some other Internet book seller. I am sure the reviews there will give a much more of the story line and better information. All I know is, I borrowed the book but have since purchased it because it will be required reading in our school. I think it is a must read, for everyone . . .

2 comments:

Ann said...

Definitely on the all time favorites list!!

Diane Moody said...

Ordering it as we speak! I had no idea what it was about. Sounds like an AMAZING story. Thanks for sharing!