Friday, July 16, 2010

School Books - Bible etc.

Because I am in the middle of ordering and receiving books for school, I thought it would be fun to post about the books I have chosen for each subject and why. For three days in a row I have had a book box at the door. The highlight of my day. Granted each box only contains a couple of books, but that is OK because the delight will go on for maybe a week now!

This year I want to concentrate on us as a family. Yes, to learn math and reading and writing but to work on habit training and being good stewards and thinking about what God expects from us. So, the first "subject" every morning is Personal Quiet Time, Bible and Memory Verses.

My goal is to start everyday with this. Of course, with me setting the example, with my own personal quiet time before the kids get up. Each of the kids will have a journal. And before breakfast I am hoping to read (or have Nature Girl read) through Hero Tales Vol 1 &2 by Dave and Neta Jackson. It is a book that touches on the lives of such Christian heroes as Marin Luther and Samuel Morris. The end of the chapter has review questions which can be answered in their journals. After they finish that book, I think we will read Wisdom and the Miller's and then I have a girl's devotional books lined up: Beautiful Girlhood.

I also am going to have them think about personal notes, thoughts, prayers to put in their journals everyday. Requests and thanksgivings. LM and Boop can draw or whatever they feel comfortable with. Even NG can draw. As long as they are building their own personal time with God.

We will continue to read through the Bible, chapter by chapter. I believe we are in Judges. I think we will take a little bit more time this year and talk a little bit more about what we read. Last year, I just had the girls draw a picture. And take turns narrating.

I have collected a memory verses or two to start the girls out this year. (And Boop because he doesn't like being left out. And he really has a great memory!) We have a notebook set up that has the current verse in the front. Then once a week we review the last verse we learned. Once they have remember the verse pretty well, it goes to the once a month section and then lastly to the once a semester section. I am hoping the system of verse memorization will help the kids "hide God's word in their heart."

So, this will be about the first half hour of our school day. And, as I mentioned, this is my intention. I should, in about 2 months, post what is really going on. Ha, ha . . .

No comments: