Saturday, July 24, 2010

Copywork/Grammar/Language Arts/Reading

This is probably the hardest subject for me to "teach." Well, not the copywork and reading part but the grammar and language arts and spelling, I guess. One of the greatest joys I have gotten from homeschooling is teaching the girls to read. When I think of the possibilities that reading opens up for a person, and then think about the fact that I am the one that taught it, I get a great sense of accomplishment (and, I admit, pride.)

Copywork is the easiest. The kids are to take their time learning how to write each letter. If they are learning the letter "a," and have done four perfect ones in a row, but number 5 starts to get sloppy, then I have them stop. They are to be diligent in their handwriting. Every time they write, they are to do their best. Does it happen all the time? In school, for the most part, yes. In their personal writings, not so much. If I happen to see their personal writings, I do take time to mention that if it is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

Little Mama is still working through the alphabet. It is amazing to me how differently she writes. She has a nice style, a little more flowing. Nature Girl will be transitioning to cursive. She had to show me consistent, perfect writing before I would even consider transitioning to cursive. And, she really does have great writing when she puts her mind to it.

With copywork, they copy, daily, scripture verses and portions of what they are reading for school. The Charlotte Mason thought behind that is, they are learning grammar, punctuation, spelling etc. from copying really great literature. So, when the time comes for formal grammar lessons (later elementary grades) they will have a basis for what they will be learning.

NG will be using a workbook called English for the Thoughtful Child. It is based on the CM philosophy of grammar but is a little more detailed, still using copywork and dictation as a way to learn grammar and spelling. Little Mama will continue with the Explode the Code workbooks which focus on phonics and spelling.

Each girl has a vocabulary notebook. In it they put words they don't know the meaning to. We then look them up and write the definition. Also, in the notebook are "spelling" words. Every time one of them asks me to spell a word, they need to bring me their notebooks and I write the correct spelling. Theoretically we will have spelling tests every 10 words or so. I say theoretically because I have yet to do a spelling test. :)

We are starting English from the Roots Up which teaches kids the Latin and Greek roots of words. I am hoping to use that for a spring board to spelling. And also the beginning of a real foreign language program.

Dictation will be used a spring board for creative writing. Once again, using the CM method. CM believes great thoughts and ideas can be encouraged by reading great writing. It is all a little laid back by most curriculum standards and I have varied the CM approach to get us started in a lot of the areas she encourages children and teachers to wait on. But, because it is not my strong suit, I figured an early start would give us all ample time to learn grammar and language arts . . .

No comments: