Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Run In With the Law

I speed. Not because I want to, it just happens. Oh, I know that most people speed. Heck, if you drive at all, you know that just about everyone who has a driver's license speeds! I can't tell you how many times I have been stopped. Way to many, that is for sure!

Things get a little sticky now, because the kids can tell if I am speeding. And, a lot of times they will ask "Mommy, are you speeding?" Nine out of ten times I am. Not on purpose, I am just not paying close enough attention. I really, really have tried hard to not speed. I think it sets a horrible example for the kids. Plus, with daddy enforcing speeding laws, my choosing to disobey a law is even worse, in my mind.

But, does that stop me for doing it. No. Does it stop me from getting pulled over? No. And, yes, it happened to me, again, yesterday.

I was on my way to the grocery store at about 10AM. I had all the kids with me and we were cruising down our two lane, old canopy road. I see a deputy car in front of me, coming towards me, lights flashing. My first thought, "oh, daddy is saying hi to us." He knew we were on our way to the store and he was working our area again.

So, I flash my lights and wave as the car comes closer. It then makes a u-turn in the middle of the road with lights flashing. So, my second thought is O.K. let's move off to the side of the road so the deputy can pass and get to his call.

As I pull off to the side of the road, the deputy car pulls up, next to me, and asks me to turn right at the next intersection (obviously not daddy.) I ashamedly put my head down and say "Yes, sir." I call daddy and start to cry. I did it again.

Daddy says just explain who I am. A deputy's wife. For the record, I HATE doing that. It feels like cheating to me. Or that I am above the law. Anyway, the deputy comes up and starts explaining that I was doing 15 miles over the speed limit on one of the most dangerous roads in town (which I already know because I travel it daily.) He asks me for license and registration.

I very humbly look up at him and explain who I am. He immediately says he is sorry. I am like "no, no I am sorry." He says no he is sorry and to please tell hubby he says hello. And, again, I say no I am sorry for not obeying the law and that I really had no idea I was speeding. I really, really try to watch it. He again apologized.

I felt like a idiot. I felt guilty. I told the kids that the deputy was very kind. He had every right to punish me for my disobedience. When we got to the grocery, we prayed and thanked God for protecting us.

Needless to say, I set my cruise control for the right speed on the way home. I think I am going to be using that a lot. I don't need any more run ins with the law. Other than the ones with my hubby . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

Sassy.

I don't know why but my children are always telling me "go faster" and "pass that car".

Ann said...

Well, apparently I do! Paul has been stopped once since we have been married. I can't even count how many times ;)