Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Horse Camp, Part II

Yesterday we attempted horse camp again. When we had our little dilemma last go around, we asked Nature Girl if she was interested in signing up for a different week. When we gave her the choice, she was told that if we signed her up and paid, she was going to have to go no matter what.

I think she thought about it for a day or two and decided she wanted to go. I explained again, that if we signed her up, she would be going. I needed to make sure she understood. She was sure. I got in touch with the lady who runs the camp (which happens to be our old babysitter) and she told me she would save a spot for Nature Girl. And, that she was happy that NG decided to go.

Over the weekend, we bought riding boots and made sure we had jeans etc. Sunday night, Nature Girl went to bed very excited. And, of course, had a hard time sleeping. She woke up yesterday morning excited and ready to go.

As we drove to camp, she began telling me she was really tired. I told her she would get energy once we got there. I could see, on her face, that we might have a potential problem. So, we started to talk about camp and what was the worse that could happen. I encouraged her to focus on all the great things she had done the year before. All the reasons she wanted to go back this year. I asked her if she was concerned about not knowing anyone. And she said yes.

My heart went out to her. It is so funny to me, as we parent, how much of our own experiences go it to how we parent. I pulled off to the side of the road and we talked a little bit more. We talked about how God doesn't want us to fear the unknown. That He actually calls us to do things that we are uncomfortable with. Because that is how are faith in Him grows. He wants us to have a healthy fear to keep us safe, so we don't do things that are truly dangerous. But, fear that keeps us from doing something good, or something we want to do or that He is calling us to do, can be sin.

We prayed and I asked God to calm her heart and to be with her. I prayed that she would make a friend and be a friend. And that even if she felt alone, God was with her and would direct her and protect her.

I dropped her off and she asked me to stay for a little bit, which I did. Then, lo and behold, a friend from church showed up. Nature Girl took one look at me and said her good byes! All morning, I kept my cell phone close by. But, it never rang.

When hubby went to pick her up, of course, she was so excited. And couldn't wait to go back this morning. I will admit, we went through some of the same things this morning. And, we did the same routine. Talked and prayed and I stayed for a little bit. She then assured me I could leave. Again, I kept my cell phone close. And again, it didn't ring.

I am proud of her for sticking it out. Not falling apart. I hope this experience is great for her, on so many levels . . .

4 comments:

Katie said...

I deal with this sort of thing too, with my oldest.
I like the way you handled it.

Ann said...

We will see what happens tomorrow! Is it an age thing?

Katie said...

Maybe a first-born thing? The caution? I don't see the same traits in the my second or third children (too early to tell about the fourth).
Good luck today!

Diane Moody said...

Gosh, I'm almost 57 and I STILL deal with this! Oh, to have a mom like you who'd pull off the side of the road to pray with me when I'm fearful or nervous! You're doing GREAT, Annie!!