Thursday, July 8, 2010

Evaluation Day

Today is the day I see if my 1st and 3rd grader get to advance to 2nd and 4th grade. Well, it really isn't all that serious, I guess, because they advance if I say so - ha, ha ;) But, we do have an evaluator come in every year and check their progress. It is for peace of mind and part of the law we need to follow as homeschoolers. There is a choice, be evaluated or get tested. We have always been evaluated.

The evaluator is very laid back and really interested in the kids and what their individual strengths and weaknesses are. Because she has taught in public schools, I always have questions to ask her, just to keep me on track. Satisfy my curiosity. Or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, she goes through our 6 binders (3 for each girl) and looks at samples of their work. She asks me questions if she needs to. Then she has each girl read for her. Lastly, she asks questions such as, what was their favorite part of a certain field trip we took. Or what subject they like best.

It is kind of funny because we don't really talk about school in "subjects", per se. We sit down and read Our Island Story (history) or Burgess Bird Book (science). So, I sometimes get a little nervous to see how they will answer, like "Gee, we don't do history." Or something like that.

Our evaluator happens to be a friend. So, I know, if there are any concerns or something she really doesn't understand, she would give me an opportunity to explain. I also see her on occasion throughout the year and the topic of homeschooling always comes up. So, she sees us and hears about our progression throughout the year.

I know of a family that really stresses before the evaluator comes. It is like someone coming in to critique your job. And the end product is what your child either knows or doesn't know. So, I understand why that may be daunting. But, I guess, I have just always felt, so far, pretty confident in what we have been doing. I know they are progressing. I see that they have interests and knowledge. I am always very pleased with their work.

In fact, I think I am going to nominate me teacher of the year! Ha, ha . . . .

No comments: