Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Strong Willed Child


As we were shopping for refrigerators yesterday (another blog post I am sure) my littlest angel was showing her true persona. (As my sister's friend called it this weekend "a big personality.") My mom mentioned on the ride home how she sure was strong willed.

I have used that term before with my oldest child. Very willful. Wanting to do what she is wanting to do. My oldest child had a mild case compared to angel number four. But, my mom's comment led to a discussion about "strong willed" children which has been on my mind, as of late.

I am currently receiving e-mails from Simply Charlotte Mason, a website I use to help guide me in the Charlotte Mason ways for educating my children. And, this particular series of e-mails just happens to be discussing the nuances of "willful" children.

The premise behind the e-mails I have been receiving is this (all based on what Charlotte Mason wrote over a hundred years ago) that strong willed children are not really strong willed after all. They are, in all actuality, weak willed. (Now I am paraphrasing in my own words as I comprehend what the articles have been saying.)

It does not take a will or strength or much thought or fortitude to give in to one's desires. To have one's way. It takes a strong will to curb, to master, to control one's desires. A true strong will, will not give into selfish wants or immediate, perceived needs. (All paraphrasing. The website will have all of the articles, in their entirety.)

A strengthening of the will comes with maturity and learning to control those desires. To be unselfish, to put the needs of others before our selves. And for most of us, these are things we have to learn and want them for ourselves.

Does my youngest have a big personality? Oh yes! Just ask her Grandma. Do I buy into the fact that she needs to develop a strong will? Yes, I think so. It kind of makes sense to me. So, I think, I will be praying for my littlest angel to develop a strong will . . .

2 comments:

Diane Moody said...

Fascinating concept. Makes a very good point! Kinda flips everything around in your head, doesn't it?

Ann said...

Definitely worth pondering!