Saturday, September 13, 2008

40 and pregnant

I wasn't going to post about being pregnant and 40, at least not right now anyway. I still have 8 weeks to go and it is a long 8 weeks. BUT it has become so apparent why God makes women the most fertile when they are in their early 20s. Your young, you have energy, your body is relatively new!! Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't change being pregnant right now for anything but it has been much more difficult this time around. Now I will concede that the following things play into the fact that I am exhausted: 3 other kids and all of their activities, homeschooling, hubby is working a lot more, more active in the community etc. I started late to begin with. Nature Girl was born when I was 33. I wanted to have Little Mama in enough time that if we had a third it would be before I was 40. The Boop came along when I was 37. I really wanted to have number 4 before I turned 40. I wasn't going to be 40 and birthing babies - ha, ha!!! But that wasn't in God's plan so now I am 40 and pregnant. (I love irony) My back aches night and day, my legs ache and cramp terribly at night. I was up last night from 1-4. Don't know if it is because I am pregnant or 40. I don't need practice for motherhood (being up in the middle of the night) I know all about that. I just need sleep. I have little energy and the most mundane chores take all my effort. Yesterday I had two invitation for lunch with friends and I declined. I just knew I couldn't do it, couldn't make it work, didn't have the energy to get us all presentable to eat in public. Please don't misunderstand me!!! I would not change a thing. All of this is teaching me what is important in life and to depend on God. Now we only do the necessary things in life, take things slow and easy, try not to rush and pack to much stuff into a day. I can think of at least three women right now that I admire that have been pregnant in their 40s. And they had a houseful of kids to boot. And their families are wonderful to behold. I love being pregnant. I love looking down and seeing my big belly moving all around because junior is awake. It makes the inability to eat, breathe, walk, sleep all worth it. There isn't a greater gift that God can give a woman and a family. Psalm 127:3-5 "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; They shall not be ashamed, but shall speak with their enemies in the gate." But there have been moments when I have wished I would have started just a little bit younger . . .

No comments: