Monday, September 1, 2008

Music

I love music. All kinds of music. In school we listen to classical, folk songs and hymns. This semester it is All Glory Laud and Honor, The Drinking Gourd and the greatest hits from Saint-Saens. We learn a little bit about the history and words and then just listen whenever we can - while doing school work or in the car. If the kids like the composer they will often ask to listen to it during play time. The folk songs are kind of silly so they like the words to them. But it doesn't stop there. I suppose if I was a true appreciator of music it would but I am not. I just like music - jazz, blues, country, rock, oldies, gospel. So we can be seen dancing to Van Morrison at night after dinner. Or when running errands Sara Evans or Rascal Flatts can be heard blaring from the CD player. Sometimes when the kids aren't with me I listen to classic rock real loud. Hubby and I love music from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s - we love Frankie Valli - "oh what a night, late December back in 63". Hubby and I do share the fact that we don't care much for the most recent music but I would suppose that is an age thing. Music is so powerful. It has the power to change a mood. It puts smiles on our faces. Gives us reasons to dance . . .

No comments: