Thursday, September 25, 2008

Birth Story - Little Mama


By the time I was pregnant with Little Mama I was only working part-time and after her birth I was going to be a full time stay at home mom. I had thought that because it had taken so long for me to get pregnant the first time that it would take awhile to get pregnant the second time. I was wrong. On the Saturday before Father's Day in 2002 when Natural Girl was 14 mos old we found out we were pregnant again. I took the test at 10:30 at night (having peed on 2 previous sticks that week) and it showed the plus sign. We called everyone that night! This pregnancy was really no different than the first one. Same symptom's more or less but a healthy baby. When we had gone for the 20 week ultrasound hubby knew it was going to be a girl. He was destine to be surrounded by women his entire life!! A lot of moms commented on the difficulty of having two children in diapers but I figured that would be the easy part! Little Mama was such a good baby and I had learned a thing or two! A due date when you have another child is a little bit more of a big deal. What happens if you go into labor in the middle of the night? What happens if hubby is at work? What happens if you can't get a hold of anyone? Well, my sister graciously spent about 10 days with us awaiting the blessed moment. I think she was still in high school. On the morning of February 18th I woke up to go to the bathroom and my water broke. Way different from the first time. Once again I won't go into the details but it was a mess. I was so glad I was at home!! I called the doc's office and in I went to the hospital. As before, my labor needed a jump start so I was induced. By 6:00 PM I was ready to deliver Little Mama. My mom, sister, and MIL were at the hospital. I could hear Nature Girl banging on L and D doors yelling "Mommy, are you in there?" It was a basketball game night and we had it on the radio during delivery. (I said sports were important to us and the midwife actually had had tickets to the game :) After about 2 hours of really, really hard pushing and me saying words that I don't think I have spoken since then the little angel would not come out. At one point the midwife had me hanging from a bar trying to push. I was so tired and scared and frustrated. I didn't understand what was wrong. Why was this baby not coming out. The midwife, nurse and hubby would say push again and I just couldn't. The midwife stepped out of the room to call the doctor. I will never be sure if it was for forceps or an emergency C-section but when she came back I pushed one more time and out came my beautiful baby girl. She looked so much like her daddy that people in the mall used to stop us and say to him "No denying that one." She was not as fair skinned and had a little darker hair. I started to nurse her immediately and she never stopped until she was 10 mos old. She napped and ate when she was suppose to. Hardly ever cried. Sometime you would forget she was even around. Two things though - she wouldn't let anyone else ever hold her and she absolutely refused the bottle until she was 10 mos. She was the perfect second child. Probably why I wanted baby number three . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

Beautiful birth stories...
I didn't know you had such a rough time with NG, sorry about that :(
Little Mama sounds so sweet. I wish I knew her in person.

Diane Moody said...

I'm catching up again and enjoying reading your birth stories. So much I didn't know! Looking forward to hearing about Boop's birth. Tell me - the picture on Silent Sunday - Boop is sleeping with a stuffed animal? I have almost the EXACT same picture of Ben when he was that age, clutching his beloved "Roo" (Kanga-roo). It embarrasses him to no end that I still have Roo! Just curious what little Boop is holding!

Ann said...

Boop's stuffed animal is an elephant. He changes pretty frequently what he sleeps with. But no matter what he always has his lion somewhere close by.