Saturday, September 20, 2008

American Girl Craft Day

There are not too many toys I approve of these days. For a lot of reasons. The way they are made, what they look like, what they do, what their purpose is. But, one of the dolls that the girls have fallen in love with is the American Girl dolls. At first I was hesitant about the whole thing - they are expensive!! But after getting the first one for Nature Girl a couple of years ago and the second for Little Mama last year, it has been well worth the price. They are wonderful dolls with wonderful character traits. They are modestly dressed and their stories are historically based. As a homeschooling mom I can't ask for a better "toy" for my girls. There are about a dozen dolls spanning the last 200 years or so. They range from Kaya the Native American to Julie who lived during the 70s. They each come with historical fiction books. (What a great and painless way to learn history.) Nature Girl has Emily who is from England and she lived during WWII. Little Mama has Samantha who lived during the turn of the century about 1904. So, all that to say, today there are free American Girl crafts at a local craft store and we are so there!! I usually don't like doing these kinds of things. I am not a big crowd kind of person and I will need to keep Boop entertained while helping the girls with their crafts but I just knew I couldn't pass up this opportunity. I didn't tell the girls until yesterday that we were going. They jumped up and down and giggled and laughed. They wanted to know what kind of crafts but I have no idea. So, we need to get going, get breakfast and get out the door to be one of the first ones there . . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

Leah has Kit :)

Mary Beth said...

I love the American Girl Doll series, Ann! Actually at our local library last year, I was the Emcee for an American Girls fashion show and tea....it was a blast! All these precious little girls showed up with their doll and they were supposed to be dressed alike...so as Emcee, I would make comments about each one as they walked down the "catwalk" with their doll - then we had tea - such fun! Glad your girls like them too!!

Ann said...

Mary Beth - That had to have been a blast!! What a fun and neat thing to be a part of!