Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Fish

A week or so ago my kids were sent an invitation to my bff's daughter's birthday party. They were so excited. We have know the birthday girl since she was born. My bff was the one who about a year before Nature Girl was to start kindergarten started to give me the full court press about homeschooling. I always told her "It isn't for me." Ha, ha!! Sorry, I digress. Anyway, we have been doing some heart training about putting others before ourselves. Each one of us struggles with this on some level, kids especially. Nature Girl at this point in her life probably struggles with this the most out of my three kids. When I hear her playing with the other kids it usually has to be her way or she says she won't play. She loves to count her money and then is always wanting to buy something new for herself right away. There are always tons of "whys" when we talk about saving and tithing with her money. When making decisions as to what to watch or play, she doesn't really ever consider what anybody else might want. Oh, it isn't really, really all that bad and it isn't probably anything worse then most kids her age but compared to her brother and sister she is most motivated by self. She has a lot of wonderful qualities. She is creative, independent and has tons of energy. She is curious about life, nature and other people. But, if I didn't give you the gist of how she thinks most days the following tale wouldn't mean as much! So, back to the birthday party. The minute we got the invitation Nature Girl starts to think about what we are going to get her for a gift. This always makes me nervous because usually it is like a puppy dog or a pony. She is very generous with my money :) Then I have to be the bad guy and say "no", "no", and "no." And then try to explain why and what might be a more appropriate gift. Anyway, she comes up with this great idea. She says "I want to buy her a fish. One of those fighting fish." Really?? "YOU want to buy her the fish?" "Yes, I have $13.00 and I can buy her a fish for her birthday." I was so warm inside!!! Actually as I sit here words can not describe how I really felt. My little girl who spends a lot of time talking about what she wants is considering spending her hard earned tooth fairy money on her friend. And she thought of it all by herself!!! I don't want to say I felt proud because I know what comes after pride (Prov. 16:18) But, I was proud. She actually followed through and bought that fish with her money. I know I don't have the power to change the heart. But I know some One who does and sometimes it is so encouraging to see that some of what we talk about as godly parents starts to sink in . . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

What a great story!