Friday, September 5, 2008

Football

We are big sports fans in this house. We have been known to watch football, basketball, baseball and horse racing just to name a few. My husband is from a major college town and I am from a NFL town so we grew up with football. I will admit, when I was a child I didn't care for it all that much. I remember watching Packer games with the family but not really caring who won or lost. When I moved to a college town and I was older all that changed. I got into the spirit of college sports. As a college student and young married couple we lived for Saturday. The ranking in the polls was a major topic of conversation. What would happen in college town on a football weekend was something to experience and experience it we did. Tailgating, massive amounts of people everywhere, actually going to a BIG game. Those are memories I will carry with me forever. I remember the fall before Nature Girl was born and I had a whole journal entry about the FSU v. Miami game. Part of the entry did ponder the idea of how important football would be after having a child ;) Well, football has definitely dropped in the poll of importance. Now we have birthday parties and other family and home obligations. Last year we even went camping the weekend of the UF/FSU game but we did bring a long a small TV with rabbit ears and watched it by the campfire. I think in 7 years we have only been to one college game. We have gone to more basketball games and baseball games because they seem to be a little more family friendly (and cheaper too.) Last Saturday was the first Saturday of college football. We had College Game Day on while doing necessary chores just so we could keep track of who was winning and losing. Tomorrow is FSU's first game of the season and it is on pay-per-view. Normally we don't pay to watch a game but this year we are kind of curious. I am sure for the parts of the day we are home we will be watching College Game Day. Somethings are are just a given . . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

It's so much fun to watch sports with our kids. We love football and baseball and we really got into the Olympics this year.