Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cooking and Baking

I don't really like to cook. I do it because the rest of the family likes to eat :) I am not very imaginative and like to stick to recipes that have less then 5 ingredients. Hubby is the chef. He has vision and imagination and a flare for the culinary. So our deal is usually on days he works I do the cooking - meatloaf, baked chicken, spaghetti and on nights he is off we have grouper (that he caught) with asiago cheese, grilled hamburgers with homemade fries, chili etc. So it would only follow that I probably wouldn't like to bake either. A friend of mine that I had met a couple of years ago baked. She baked with wheat she milled herself. She made all kinds of breads, cookies and pancakes. I loved everything she made. It was delicious AND it was good for you. The cookies were my favorite. Everything was made with natural organic ingredients. I was more than happy to accept what ever she was willing to share with us or make for us because I was never going to go through all that trouble for homemade bread, rolls, cookies and pancakes. Then one day she told me she was moving!! Yes, I was going to miss her terribly. We had become very good friends BUT I was also going to miss her baking ;) What was I going to do with out the cookies. I craved them. Every other Thursday she made us pancakes. What was I going to do?? I, in the past, had always kind of made fun in a really nice way of all the people who had milled their own wheat and had made their own bread etc. It was not for me. (How many times have I said that in the last couple of years.) Guess what?? I talked with hubby and we decided to buy a mill and join a co-op to buy wheat berries and real sugar and honey and all the other things needed to make bread, rolls, pancakes, cookies and so much more!! I have to admit now I LOVE IT. I don't make bread or rolls as often as I should. But I make cookies a lot and we have whole wheat pancakes at least every other week. The beauty of it all is the kids actually like the stuff. When I get out the mill and make pancakes they get so excited. Whenever we have company over and dessert is my cookies, they always proudly say "My mommy made these." Reason enough for me to keep baking . . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

Reading about food makes me hungry! I love to bake, but I've never tried milling my own wheat.
One of these days I'm going to write a post about my kids eating habits...I have good eaters and picky eaters. Are your kids easy to please?
P.S. totally jealous of hubby who cooks.

Ann said...

It all depends - O is my junk food junky. K is pretty good - even prefered fruit over french fries for awhile. C is all over the board. Would much rather entertain :)